Friday, April 2, 2010

1. coach | April 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Erin K.: 7 rounds (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Alex M.: 10 rounds + 1x atomic pushup (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Paul M.: 9 rounds + 9x pushup (sub: 2x pushup, 2x squat, 1x bodyrow)
    Sara S.: 5 rounds +… 10x squat (sub: knee pushup, 2x squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Erez Y.: 7 rounds +… 12x pull-up
    Keena S.: 9 rounds + 3x pushup (sub: pushup, assisted s.l.s., 1x bodyrow)
    Shana S.: 7 rounds + 1x pushup (sub: decline pushup, squat, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Beth F.: 4 rounds +… 10x assisted s.l.s. (sub: pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Kris C.: 5 rounds +… 10x s.l.s. (sub: atomic pushup, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Ted K.: 6 rounds (sub: atomic pushup, 2x squat)
    Rob K.: 5 rounds + 5x prom hspu (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Josh O.: 7 rounds + 3x hspu (sub: 1x bodyrow)
    Scott D.: 7 rounds + 5x atomic pushup (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Ryan B.: 5 rounds + 5x incline pushup (sub: incline pushup, 2x squat, 1x bodyrow)
    Leota B.: 7 rounds +… 12x squat (sub: decline pushup, 2x squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Josh M.: 9 rounds + 5x prom hspu (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 25-lb. plate)
    Katie M.: 7 rounds +… 5x assisted s.l.s (sub: decline pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Jessy C.: 4 rounds +… 2x assisted s.l.s (sub: pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Robbie S.: 8 rounds (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., 1x bodyrow)
    Meghan M.: 3 rounds +… 4x single-leg squat (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    David O.: 4 rounds +… 9x single-leg squat (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., 1x bodyrow)
    Sidra C.: 6 rounds (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Jessica H.: 3 rounds + 2x prom hspu (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 35-lb. plate)
    Joe P.: 6 rounds + 3x pushup (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 35-lb. plate, assisted s.l.s.)
    Roselena R.: 5 rounds +… 10x assisted s.l.s. (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Tamra F.: 5 rounds +… 10x jump-stretch pull-up (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Jeremy N.: 8 rounds (sub: 1x strict bodyrow)
    Mike S.: 8 rounds +… 13x bodyrow (sub: 1x bodyrow, assisted s.l.s.)
    Johnny A.: 7 rounds +… 20x squat (sub: decline pushup, 2x squat, 1x bodyrow)
    Christy P.: 10 rounds +… 8x pull-up
    Caitlin F.: 5 rounds +… 13x jump-stretch pull-up (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Brian T.: 5 rounds +… 10x jump-stretch pull-up (sub: decline pushup, 2x squat, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Christine S.: 4 rounds (30-lb. dbs; sub: db shoulder press, assisted s.l.s.)
    John S.: 6 rounds +… 9x pull-up (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Jeff W.: 7 rounds (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Bill G.: 4 rounds +… 10x pull-up (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s.)
    Kevin C.: 5 rounds + 5x pushup (sub: atomic pushup, assisted s.l.s., jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Joe F.: 9 rounds +… 1x pull-up
    Amy D.: 9 rounds + 5x pushup (sub: pushup, 2x squat, 1x bodyrow)
    Livia S.: 3 rounds +… 14x jump-stretch pull-up (sub: pushup, 2x squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Marco M.: 6 rounds +… 20x squat (sub: decline pushup, 2x squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Charles H.: 7 rounds + 1x handstand pushup (sub: assisted s.l.s.)
    Dave R.: 10 rounds +… 10x pull-up

2. coach | April 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love this picture!

Melody

3. Mrs. F | April 2, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hi from Michigan! Sorry to miss Mary (ok, not really- I’m enjoying my rest days).
    Meghan is featured in this week’s episode of crossfit radio! You can download the MP3 for free from the crossfit journal site: http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/03/crossfit-radio-episode-113.tpl

• the janitor | April 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm

ivy! oh no! i was going to listen to it before i told anyone about it 🙂 my bit is at the very end which is a good thing because i giggled during the entire interview.

i just tried to listen to it and it’s not working. actually, it all now makes sense now… the guy that did the interview sent me an email this morning saying the audio was messed up and that he’s working on it. if i get any updates, i’ll let you know!

4. Mrs. F | April 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Sigh. Something is wrong with the audio on the interview with Meg. The cf radio people told her they are going to try to fix it.

5. iwearsocksandshoes | April 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

My body fully recovered and mind reflective, finally capable of forming coherent thoughts on the sectionals, below I will offer my own commentary from last weekend’s events. Over the past few days I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughtful, passionate entries on the games; perhaps my review will be similarly enlightening.

This was my first crossfit competition. And though I certainly have my share of weaknesses, I felt well prepared to attack four diverse workouts in 48 hours. The selection of the WODs played to my strengths, and I felt confident about my chances continuing on to the Regional after nearly four months of dedicated training. The first event (weighted “Cindy” with a 20 pound vest) was the most challenging of the weekend. I felt strong for the first 12-14 minutes; but soon thereafter my pull-ups began to fade, slowing my pace considerably. Following John’s advice, I was able to “unweight” the squats, postponing the pain in my legs until the very end. Twenty minutes later I had completed 16 rounds plus 3 pull-ups. A mediocre result.

Sitting just inside the top forty after WOD1, it was time to make my move up the standings. Three minutes of 185 pounds clean and jerks may not sound like fun to most people, but I can’t think of a better way to spend 180 seconds. The standards qualifying a legitimate repetition (pausing at the chest; no press outs) was an interesting alternative from the usual “take the bar from ground to overhead in any way possible.” My primary goal was to stick every repetition solid, leaving no doubt in the judge’s mind. I finished with 14 reps (one effort was denied), 4 shy of the 1 repetition per 10 second pace I was aiming for. I would love to watch a video of this WOD to confirm/deny my suspicion that I was moving a bit to cautious and deliberate between each repetition. WOD2 began to separate much of the competition, and I ascended about 20 spots into qualifying territory. Two workouts down, I was feeling confident Sunday morning before WOD3.

Ah, yes…WOD3: 20 overhead squats at 115 pounds, run 200m, 12 minutes on the clock. The overhead squat is my best lift – it embarrasses all other barbell movements I perform. The squats felt tight and smooth, and I completed the first two rounds unbroken. The 200m run transitioned into a slower jog into round three as my legs began to feel heavy. My best effort of the weekend (tied for 14th place with 100 OHS) pushed me a few more spots up the rankings.

The final WOD of the weekend: seven minutes to perform as many rounds of 24 inch box jumps and 95 pound sumo deadlift high pulls as possible. Barring any unforeseen disastrous box jumps, I expected a strong finish to the weekend and a passage to the Ohio regional. I knew my performance would likely hinge on my ability to bounce on and off the box in quick succession. I quickly moved through the first three rounds – the rest of the WOD was a complete blur, and I had no idea how I finished. This workout crushed my lungs, but I survived, completing 8 rounds plus 4 box jumps.

Qualifying for the Ohio Regional wouldn’t have happened without the support of the entire MPH crew. And here I would like to offer thanks…

…to the spectators, for spending the weekend cheering their hinds off in support of greater fitness.

…to the other athletes, for firing my ass up as I watched them crush each workout before me.

…to Meg, for driving me back and forth from Annandale both days.

…and to the coaches. BK, for properly warming me up for each workout. And for not screaming at me: “I told you 10 times already, your last workout starts 1:20!” when I kept badgering her about my WOD4 time. Mel, for coaching me to a handful of new pr’s since the beginning of the year. Whether she knows it or not, Mel’s superior instruction lends support to Mark Rippetoe’s coaching philosophy, “poor form is caused by insufficient yelling.” It is impossible not to feel confident performing a lift or gutting out the final minutes of a WOD under Mel’s jurisdiction. John, for allowing me to be apart of MPH. I’ve trained at many other boxes, both near and far from DC. MPH’s quality – in terms of programming, instruction and sense of community – is second to none. In less than one year, MPH is already living up to its theme: “the fittest in DC,” sending four athletes to the Regional. There is no better facility in the DC/metro area to improve your fitness.

See you in Ohio.

Dave R

6. mikeheartspullups | April 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Dave – you’re my hero, and a 16-round weighted Cindy is no joke! I can’t wait till I’m all healed so I can resume my efforts to try (desperately) to keep up with you.

Congratulations on making it to the regionals, where I”m sure you’ll apply what you’ve learned and further crush it.

Mike