Friday, March 13, 2009

1. coach | March 13, 2009 at 8:37 am

Mayra C.: ~11′, clock malfunction (45-lbs.)
    Kris C.: 8:37 (45-lbs.)
    Tod C.: 8:16 (135-lbs.)
    Borja G.: 7:33 (95-lbs.)
    Ted K.: 7:59 (95-lbs.)
    Mike S.: 27:08
    Debbie D.: 13:34 (65-lbs.)
    Charlotte H.: 12:59 (65-lbs.)
    Neil A.: 9:42 (135-lbs.)
    Roselena R.: 9:34 (65-lbs.)
    Jen M.: 18: 12 (85-lbs.)
    Cari D.: 13:42 (65-lbs.)
    Melody: 10:56 (115-lbs.)
    Dennis D.: 10:23 (95-lbs.; sub: pushup)
    David C.: 19:31 (95-lbs.)
    Matt W.: 13:17 (135-lbs.)
    Jenn J.: 14:38 (65-lbs.)

2. coach | March 13, 2009 at 9:01 am

Believe it or not, I am easily impressed. Efficient air squats, correct row technique, improvements (large or small) in times and loads, showing up to appointments on time, and good, hard work are just a few things that make my day(s).

Mike has gotten a fair amount of air time on this site, and for good reason. He works hard, comes in on his own and eats relatively well. His results speak to his work ethic and intrinsic motivation–his ability to will himself to come in and work hard, especially on the days when it isn’t easy to do so.

Today, Mike completed this workout as prescribed. When Mel and I wrote this thing last night, my exact comment was “no one will complete this as prescribed today,” and we were fine with that. Yet, when Mike came in today, we warmed up to 175 pounds and it looked achievable, even though he didn’t think so. I started the clock before we even knew whether 185 pounds was going to happen, and after the first successful repetition, it was settled. No matter how long it took, Mike was going to finish this workout as prescribed. Almost 30 minutes later, Mike was done, and it’s worth noting right now that he stands 5’9″ tall and weighs just 152 pounds. He put 122 percent of his body weight overhead 25 times this morning.

When Mike started almost 18 months ago (?), he was soft (sorry, man). He weighed almost 170 pounds and couldn’t get through a workout without crashing into some mental barrier. Today, his already robust legend grows. If you see Mike, shake his hand, and then ask him how he does it. It’s easier than you may think.

Of course, he owes me 70 burpees on Monday because he was seven minutes late today. Hey, nobody is perfect.

3. capitalpressure | March 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

Awesome job Mike!
    11:44 at 115 pounds Jeff W.

4. mikeheartsdeadlift | March 13, 2009 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the kudos everyone. For me, the biggest motivator (seriously) is being part of a group of people who are interested in each other’s results and development.

5. TwinkleToes | March 13, 2009 at 12:34 pm

The LEGEND lives!!! Great job Mike!!

6. train2live | March 13, 2009 at 4:39 pm

MIke, When I saw this WOD posted and after the pit left my throat and I pick myself up off the floor, the first thing I thought was the only person who stands a chance at completing this as prescribed is you. Awesome, Awesome job!

Dave O. aka “702”