Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The chest-to-bar pull-up…
2008GamesPullup_th-thumb-552x540
On Monday, Ivy L., David O., Melody and Ted K. fought through the day’s workout in the 7a group. As the minutes wore on, David was the last athlete working—willing his 6’5″ frame through full-range pushups. In fact, he was completing the round of 30 when everyone else had finished (sorry, Dave). All the while, Ivy cheered him on, talking him through his remaining repetitions. She was only about five minutes removed from finishing the workout herself, but when he began the round of 10, she stood next to him and they squatted that set together. When he dropped to the deck to finish those final pushups—in sets of one—Ivy dropped too, and did another 10 pushups, in step, one at a time.

Thanks to the hard work of all of our athletes, we witness plenty of impressive physical and mental efforts every day, but none have shown as much camaraderie and class as Ivy did on Monday. If you get a workout named after you—our small token of appreciation—this is how you want it done. Thank you, Ivy.

And yes, there is only one prescribed load for the deadlifts because let’s face it, Ivy out-pulls almost everyone.

–Melody and John

Ivy
for time:
21-15-9
deadlift @ 225-lbs.
chest-to-bar pull-up

image courtesy of crossfit.com

1. coach | May 20, 2009 at 8:47 am

Mayra C.: 15:55 (135-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 7 risers)
    Melody: 23:35
    John S.: 19:55
    Neil A.: 20:19
    Brent H.: 20:07 (sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up)
    Ted K.: 36:03
    Borja G.: 16:05
    Jeff W.: 22:56
    Lisa C.: 20:29 (135-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 5 risers)
    Mead O.: 13:04 (135-lbs.; sub: 1x bodyrow)
    Joe P.: 13:54 (sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up)
    Amy D.: ~20′, clock malfunction (165-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 2 risers)
    Jen M.: ~8′, clock malfunction (95-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 7 risers)
    Cari D. ~12′, clock malfunction (135-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 2 risers)
    Jenn J.: ~26′, clock malfunction (175-lbs.; sub: jump/kip ctb pull-up, 7 risers)
    Dennis D.: 13:58 (205-lbs.; sub: pull-up)
    John C.: 5:59 (95-lbs.; sub: 1x bodyrow)
    Wanda K.: 9:31 (95-lbs.; sub: 1x bodyrow)

2. coach | May 20, 2009 at 9:04 am

Great dialogue yesterday…some follow-up:

In WordPress, you can add a picture of yourself via the avatar function. A profile page is not a bad idea—maybe we’ll capture interest on a new poll.

A BBQ is a great idea.

Melody and John

3. sub-15 "Mike" | May 20, 2009 at 10:38 am

right!

4. themunchkin25 | May 20, 2009 at 10:57 am

John, I haven’t done the deadlift in quite sometime…what should the scaled weight be?

• coach | May 20, 2009 at 11:59 am

95-lbs., KC. 115-lbs. if you shoulder’s feeling good. This should be a little heavy.

5. sub10fran | May 20, 2009 at 11:06 am

For me, swings and running, no. Beer and food, yes. Watching Coach Main drink beer and eat food, and then do swrings and running – absolutely.

• coach | May 20, 2009 at 12:03 pm

John,

That’s just mean spirited—but it sounds like a challenge, and I like where your head is. Thanks for thinking of me.

6. NoTranslationRequired | May 20, 2009 at 11:27 am

Isn’t there a “Fran” where we stuff our selves 🙂 just saying!!!

7. coach | May 20, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Mikey,

We missed you for this WOD today.

What do you say to, in about two weeks (I’ll give you some time to get back into game shape), we run this workout head-to-head on video? I have visions of five minutes…

8. sub10fran | May 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Coach,

Not mean-sprited at all; well maybe just a little. You clearly are a man who loves challenges – talking about them, designing them, doing them, coaching and pushing your charges to meet them, etc. If anyone would be up for an In-N-Out Fran-like WOD, it is you. Given our past discussions, I KNOW you already have some ideas about what something like this might look like.

• coach | May 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Mike, Mel and I were just talking about something like this a couple of weeks ago. Mike was telling us about the “Beer Mile,” but I can’t remember the specifics—which led us to a “Beer Mike” (400m, burpees, penalty burpees and pull-ups, etc.).

Here’s what I’m thinking: there’s a CrossFit girl named “Linda (aka, ‘3 bars of death’)”. For time, it’s 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 repetitions of deadlifts at 150% bodyweight, bench press at bodyweight and cleans at 75% bodyweight. The first time I did this workout it took me 52 minutes—no good. It’s much faster now.

So, I can eat an entire large Ledo pizza (pepperoni) in one sitting. Then, what about, “Ledo (aka, ‘3 pizzas of death’)”? Each small Ledo pizza has nine slices (two small pizzas equal one large pizza)—three small pizzas have 27 slices, then. There are nine breaks in “Linda,” so after each round, you (I) have to eat three slices. We can discuss toppings later, but I’m not a very adventurous eater. We can pile on various meats, but that’s about it.

Maybe I have a few ideas about what something like this must look like.

9. mikeheartspullups | May 20, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Ok, I have a few things to respond to.

1. when did our avatars appear? how?

2. John: i’d definitely do today’s WOD with you on camera.

3. I agreed to do a beer mile. Beer Mike is out of the question, at least until I complete “Mike” (in under 15 minutes). As for “Ledo Linda” – that is about the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of. I can guarantee that we’ll all meet Pukey if we do that.

• coach | May 20, 2009 at 7:34 pm

The avatars came up this afternoon—we had to send a note to WordPress.

What are the “Beer Mile” parameters? Don’t worry. Nobody is doing the “3 pizzas of death.” None of you, anyway.

10. NoTranslationRequired | May 20, 2009 at 5:25 pm

All the talk of eating and working out is giving me indigestion

11. swimdra | May 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I saw a cycle class working out outside of a wsc to be more “realistic” on my way home today. I thought you all would appreciate how ridiculous that looked.

• coach | May 20, 2009 at 7:29 pm

That’s brilliant, Sid. Please tell us you took a picture…?