Thursday, May 28, 2009

1. coach | May 27, 2009 at 9:39 pm

A quick note about this week’s tag line: a few months ago, Mike was heavy deadlifting on his own. The same woman that argued with us last Friday during Neil’s “Grace” told Mike that day that he shouldn’t drop weights. Mike came right back over the top and told her “you don’t get stronger lifting things that you can put down quietly.”

Well said…

• sub10fran | May 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm

One of my all time favorite tag lines. No way I come up with that line, particularly in the heat of the moment. Only wish I could have seen the look on the woman’s face when you dropped that on her.

2. mikeheartspullups | May 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

She was speechless. Thanks for the kudos, but I wasn’t that effective, since she reared her head again.

Perhaps Crispy Coach IS the way to go…

• demonbowler | May 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm

It’s not. I’m sure she’d remind John that Globo-Gym is a smoke-free facility.
      Ted

3. NoTranslationRequired | May 28, 2009 at 9:23 am

I sure it’s just a matter of misunderstanding…she prolly just wanted to spot you Mike! And the other day she felt left out and wante to do group with us…poor woman, needs friends.

4. swimdra | May 28, 2009 at 9:56 am

After I finished my workout today I was having a really hard time breathing in the woman’s locker room. I later found out it was because the heat was still on. Thank you Gold’s Gym.

Sidra

5. jjeremias | May 28, 2009 at 11:07 am

I can’t remember the last time I did a bench press. For the body weight, should I work at a comfortably heavy (not dangerous) weight and make up for it with more reps? Or, should I cut back the weight, do the prescribed reps and focus on a faster time?

• coach | May 28, 2009 at 11:16 am

Jenn,

Find a (heavy) weight that allows you to do the prescribed reps—don’t do any more than that.

6. demonbowler | May 28, 2009 at 11:14 am

35:24, 105 lb. Ted

While I was BP’g my first set at 135lb a woman with a pony tail who was working out neaby started encouraging me and then she came right into my space and started spoting me and pointed out I wasn’t taking the bar all the way down to my chest and she even suggested I drop down to 105 even though you don’t get stronger lifting things that won’t crush your rib cage with a sick, cracking sound….she went so far as to help me change out the plates – and she stayed with me through the rest of my first set , gave me all kinds of unsolicited tactical advice on the workout…she even reappeared and noted my 500m pace on my last 2,000 meters..oh, wait,…that was my trainer/coach on my “off” day going above and beyond the call of duty (or contract) to make sure I was WODing safely and correctly – probably giving up some personal time she was looking forward to. Thanks, Melody!!

• metamorphitness | May 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

You are very welcome, Ted. Hilarious, and no thanks required!

Melody

7. coach | May 28, 2009 at 11:19 am

Kim H.: 30:34 (75-lbs.)
    Rebekka E.: 44:12 (65-lbs.; sub: 35-lb. sdhp x50, x100, x200)
    Sidra C.: 26:27 (sub: pushup)
    Sakar P.: 30:59 (95-lbs.)
    Joe P.: 37:24 (165-lbs.)
    Tod C.: 25:52 (115-lbs.)
    Mayra C.: 26:03 (55-lbs.)
    Amy D.: 37:17 (85-lbs.)
    Lisa C.: 37:17 (70-lbs.)
    John S.: 47:14 (145-lbs.)

8. coach | May 28, 2009 at 11:38 am

Two athletes to recognize today: Joe and Rebekka.

Joe put up a 1:32 500m row during the first split to (re?)claim the gym record. Don’t worry Joe, the page is updated. If he pulls below 7:02 for 2000m (yes, that “702”), it’ll be a clean sweep on the “erg.”

Rebekka, well—she got crushed today. Grinding away, she toughed it out through the worst substitution in CrossFit: one sumo deadlift high-pull for every ten meters rowing. That means she pulled the 35-lb. kettlebell 350 times this morning. This substitution is much more work than rowing, but the technique is very similar, and she needed the technique work. Great job (should I leave out the part about the water fountain)?

• rebek | May 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Please, ok, if there was ever a time to take a sip of water during a WOD it’s halfway through 200 sdhp’s. Silly me, I guess I was wrong…I promise, it’ll be my first and last water break.

Anyway, thanks for the challenge Coach…my back hates me right now…

9. coach | May 28, 2009 at 5:01 pm

26:18 (95-lbs.)

Melody

10. tbferg | May 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm

To add to the “Thank you, Globo-Gym” page: Thank you very much for the half-wet, half-moldy towels and two (TWO!) pairs of dirty underwear on the floor of the showers this morning. Made my day.

Tamra