Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

dave matt about to run
Fight Gone Bad!
three rounds:
wall ball @ 20/14-lbs. (reps)
sumo deadlift high-pull @ 75/55-lbs. (reps)
box jump, 20″ platform (reps)
push-press @ 75/55-lbs. (reps)
row (calories)

In this workout you will move from each of the five stations after one minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round, from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On the call of “rotate,” you must immediately move to the next station for the best score. One point is given for each repetition, except on the rower, where each calorie is one point.

This workout is scored by the total points.

Compare results to March 4, 2009.

workout courtesy of crossfit.com

1. mworden | August 25, 2009 at 12:29 am
  2. serenawannabe | August 25, 2009 at 8:05 am

Ok…she is going to kick my butt and she is fast as the dickens so I know I can’t out run her but *shoulder shrug* here goes!

KRIS!!! You Rock! Congratulations on your first Fight Gone Bad! She didn’t tell anyone until after we had finished and she said it so quietly I had to ask her to say it again. I couldn’t believe it. Way to Go!

Kim

• themunchkin25 | August 25, 2009 at 11:24 am

Kim, Thanks for the encouragement but there is PLENTY of room for improvement on that score.

Thank you to Becca for being the little voice in my head during the last round, it was very much appreciated.

3. coach | August 25, 2009 at 9:16 am

Matt W.: 256
    John C.: 185 (55-lbs.; sub: step-up)
    Joe P.: 297
    Jeff W.: 221
    Sakar P.: 236 (sub: step-up)
    Charles H.: 238
    Kris C.: 206
    Rob K.: 283
    Samir M.: 161 (55-lbs.; sub: step-up)
    Kim H.: 216 (sub: step-up)
    Mike S.: 281, 268
    Alex M.: 255 (55-lbs.)
    Jen M.: 263 (sub: step-up)
    Mayra C.: 229
    Roselena R.: 227 (sub: step-up)
    Jessica H.: 315
    Neil A.: 265
    David O.: 252
    Caitlin F.: 275
    Sidra C.: 175
    Michelle C.: 163 (sub: step-up)
    Tamra F.: 221
    John S.: 266
    Ivy F.: 213
    Dennis D.: 213 (55-lbs., 2′ rest; sub: step-up)
    Fernanda G.: 184
    Jenn J.: 165
    Cari D.: 210
    Amy D.: 236
    Debbie D.: 163 (sub: step-up)
    David C.: 145 (sub: step-up)
    Josh Mc.: 351

• mccuej14 | August 25, 2009 at 11:05 am

Thanks guys! Although, John just for the record, I did sub step-ups for the box jump. Thought the bruises from the box jump falling last week should go away before I fall again and take someone else out mid-FGB.

(oh, and ironically, after my concern about someone getting hit in the head with the bar during the push-press, i did manage to hit myself in the face with the bar. nice… )

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Right, Jenny. Congratulations on seeing the biggest improvement today from the last time we ran this—88 repetitions is flat-out amazing.

4. jwood30 | August 25, 2009 at 9:37 am

Congratulations on breaking the 300 mark Jessica. JW

• Jessica | August 25, 2009 at 10:10 am

Wait, wait, not so fast. I had subs for the SDH and the PP… one arm, 25 lb kettlebell.

The real props go to Caitlan, who did two rounds of wall ball with a 20 lb medicine ball. And, landed a 275. That’s awesome, way to go.

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 10:41 am

Exactly. Now, just take the congratulations. People don’t show up for work when their allergies flare-up. You ran FGB one-handed—literally.

5. Rob | August 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

Definitely – big congrats. Showing up the ‘boys again!

6. train2live | August 25, 2009 at 9:59 am

Just wanted to give a shout out to Joe P. Nice job man!!

702

7. coach | August 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

I must say two things (for now):

1. Jess’ first FGB was better than Mel’s last (by one rep) and she only has one working arm. I’m just saying…

2. Caitlin is a fire-breather laying in wait. There, I said it. At the start of the workout this morning, I thought (to myself) that if anyone had a shot at posting something ridiculous, it was her. Had she not wall-balled with the men’s weight for two rounds, she would have wasted everyone. Everyone. Also, if anyone wants a lesson in proper mid-workout body language, take a gander at this gal: great posture, blank face, good breath meter.

More later…

8. InNeedofCalculator | August 25, 2009 at 10:09 am

Not too thrilled with my score, but I did look at the guy next door and said to myself “F’K YOU, I DID FGB”…just saying! Great job everyong..Michelle, great job sticking to it last round at the row!

• sub10NARF | August 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

Anyone else have the FGB shakes? Not sure if the FGB shakes are worse than the “bitch who shall not be named” cough.

Was looking again at the scores – some seriously absurd numbers by a host of folks: Jess, Caitlan, Jen M., Joe, Rob, Mike

I agree with Abacus Man – my mantra today is, “F You, I did FGB this morning, so don’t bring your weak ass shit around here.”

9. caitlinflanagan | August 25, 2009 at 10:21 am

Wow John thank you.

I’m blushing and not sure I deserve all those compliments. Admittedly the blank face is not always calmness as much as it is apathy towards the pain i.e “I’m SO over it!” 🙂

Great job to everyone today but I want to give a personal shout out to Jen. Girl you CRUSHED your last score! In a word, bad*ss.

10. tbferg | August 25, 2009 at 10:41 am

Great job, everyone. Lots of fantastic scores. My two thoughts:

1. My tailbone hurts from falling off the rower. That’s just embarrassing.

2. I am still freaked out by the box jump. It took me so long to psyche myself up for each jump that I don’t think I did more than 7 in any given round.

11. serenawannabe | August 25, 2009 at 10:46 am

Jess and Caitlin are BEASTS! Congratulations Ladies!

12. Mrs. Finkenstadt | August 25, 2009 at 10:47 am

I feel similarly to Neil. Even though John is right, that I’ve done more before 9 a.m. than anyone in my office, I can’t help but feeling let down. I think I may be hitting a barrier- possibly overtraining, not enough rest, or needing further tweaks to my diet. Or all three.

That said, there were some stand out exciting moments in there today- Way to go MPH Athletes!

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 10:52 am

Great insight, Ivy. Don’t confuse over-training with under-recovery…

• sub10NARF | August 25, 2009 at 11:34 am

Ivy,

My guess is that just about everybody feels like they could have/should have done better; it is a byproduct of what our Coaches have created and fostered – the demand for maximum effort and perfect form/execution. Complacency has no place at MPH, and that drives probably all of us to want to be better and do better. That said, we should all take pride in what we accomplished today, and realize that whether today was a “good day” or a “bad day”, we get the chance every time we set foot into MPH to do better. Now relinquishing the soapbox.

• Mrs. Finkenstadt | August 25, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Thanks John. Well said!

• train2live | August 25, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Well said, John. I was kinda feeling the same way Ivy was feeling. But I have to be honest, I think I was subconsiously saving some for Thursday.

702

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I hope that strategy pays off, 702. I’d hate for Joe to leave it all out there today and win Thursday. I mean, the man worked himself today to the point where he ran to the trash can after round three…really.

• train2live | August 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I don’t think it was an planned strategy. I am going for it all on Thursday though. Have a puke bucket standing by.

That said, Joe pulled off an incredible effort today…not surprised he had a trip to the trash can. I think it is fair to say that his capacity is higher than it was the last time we attempted 2000. I would just like to keep one fucking gym record.

Did I mention that I have never rowed before I met you John and that I am 47 years old…I’m just saying…Joe won’t have to work too hard to take me down…he says with an evil grin. Ok I am going to stop there…my hands are shaking as I write this just thinking about Thursday.

702

13. swimdra | August 25, 2009 at 10:57 am

Because my office doesn’t have a shower I actually have to go to another gym to shower before work, and it was pretty awsome to know I had definatly worked out harder than anyone else in there.

Jess- it is definatly MORE impressive that you made that score one armed. Just think what will happen when you can use both of them!

Congrats to everyone today. Like Ivy said, way to go MPH athletes!

14. roselenaramirez1 | August 25, 2009 at 11:46 am

Ivy… You did two rounds of sumo deadlift high-pull with the man weight… I did one round and I Just could not did more than 10! You were awesome!
    Coaches I did also sub step-ups for the box jump… I just twisted my other ankle stepping down the first round… Michelle, you got the power!! great work everyone today!

15. jwood30 | August 25, 2009 at 11:54 am

I almost forgot, I wanted to mention Charles who hit himself with a 70-lb kb in the warm-up. (lets just call it man pain) Then he did FGB to the point of dry heaving. Nice work. JW

16. coach | August 25, 2009 at 12:10 pm

This just in: Mel and B-kay are throwing FGB down at 2p. Scores forthcoming.

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Melody: 335
      Rebekka: 240 (+48 reps versus last time)

Nice job ladies. And thanks for coaching that with me, Josh. You’re next…

• serenawannabe | August 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Way to go Coaches!

• jwood30 | August 25, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Nice work Melody and Baykay.

• coach | August 25, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I’m incredibly proud of these two ladies today. To run FGB on a whim and about four hours of sleep a night for the past month, is just an incredible thing. And this is just today. They workout almost daily on nothing but guts.

I’ll save the rest for another time—soon. We need to recognize them someplace besides (buried in) the comments section.

• caitlinflanagan | August 25, 2009 at 4:23 pm

WOW! Incredible work Mel and Becca!

17. ashacooper | August 25, 2009 at 12:17 pm

This workout was great. The energy and excitement that filled the gym was fantastic. This was my first FGB, and the workout helped me identify (more) areas to work on. Neil, thanks for helping me make it through the final round of rows. I really needed to hear you yelling “pull” each time. I’ll need you again on Thursday. As for my burpees, I’ll do them tonight. Just didn’t have more in me after today’s workout. Today is Day 13.

18. mchofia | August 25, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Today was awesome! There were amazing athletic feats and a team spirit and camaraderie that could have been heard done the street (John let us know if you still have a voice at the end of the day). I love that as much as we are there for ourselves to improve our athleticism; we are also there for each other. I ran some numbers, I wasn’t going to let Neil do it, and if we had gone to do the fundraiser at one dollar a rep, as of the scores posted at 1 pm, we would have raised $5912.

Shout out to the 8 am class. You showed up early to cheer 7am on!

19. coach | August 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Wow. What a great day. Here are some highlights from this evening: Cari crushed her last score by 42 repetitions. Mike came back at 5p for “Fight Gone Worse” (his words) and finished the day with 549 total repetitions. Alex came back at 6p and finished the Elements Workshop—our second graduate (Incidentally, this may be the first time in the history of CrossFit that anyone finished “Fight Gone Bad!” in the morning, only to come back that night and complete the introductory curriculum. Incredible). Finally, Josh knocked-out 351 for the best score today.

We’re so proud of everyone’s effort today. Now, we need some rest and so do you. We’re not done yet this week…

Melody, Rebekka and John

• mccuej14 | August 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Cari, nice work! Think I may have to come in the evening some time soon to stage a 10a reunion tour!

• cdellinger | August 25, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Thanks, Jen! Definitely… Amy joined the 5p crew today, so all that was missing was you and Jenn J. Rumor has it I will be rowing w/the 7a crew this Thu so hope to see you! GREAT job today, btw!