Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday, August 27, 2009

That’s great, Joe P. Nice.
DSC02343
Today marks our one-month anniversary. Each day, your hard work, kind words and support—for both us and each other—keep our community healthy and strong, and push us to be better coaches, better hosts and better people. Since we opened, new athletes Teal B., Fernanda G., Stuart H., Katie H., Rob K., Samir M., Susan M., Sean M., Alex M., Josh O., Lee P. and Ravi S. have added so much to our experience and community. Dave R. and Josh M. (from…nearby) have been great support and even better friends, especially during the midday lull. We are honored to have each and every one of you on the MPH team.

As we continue to reach these milestones, it gets increasingly difficult to quantify—or even articulate—what the presence and contributions of Melody and Rebekka mean to MPH. A little more than two months ago, this project took off, and we never looked back. Without hesitation, Melody and Rebekka began logging 80-hour work weeks. They demolished the space, cleaned it, painted it, cleaned it again, hauled equipment, measured and cut rubber matting, cleaned the space again, set up MINDBODY, edited the website, designed t-shirts, created our business cards, and much, much more. Still, this says nothing of their daily support and coaching of you, our athletes. Today, though we are more settled than ever, the long days and hard work continue. And frankly, they could not care less—they love MPH, they love you, their athletes, and they definitely love coaching and watching you grow as CrossFit-ters.

They built this facility and continue to enrich our community with a little blood, a lot of sweat and yes, even a few tears. Without them, none of this would be possible. Not at all. Not even close. For this, and at the risk of signing-off with my ego, I am eternally grateful. Thank you, Mel and Rebekka. You two mean the world to me and MPH.

Thank you again everyone, for making every day a new and exciting experience, for working so hard and for supporting each other so much. As we turn this corner and look forward to the coming days, remember two things: do whatever it takes, and be good to each other. Happy anniversary, gang.

–John

for time:
2000m row

Compare results to February 23, 2009.

1. InNeedofCalculator | August 27, 2009 at 2:10 am

Happy one month. Congrats to the coaches. Wish I could be there with you all tomorrow. Good luck. Row hard. Row well. 638. I’m watching out for the posting. 🙂

2. Jessica | August 27, 2009 at 6:44 am

Yes, you’re doing a beautiful job, Melody and Rebekka, thank you so much.

3. Mrs. Finkenstadt | August 27, 2009 at 8:40 am

Thank you Melody, Rebekka (you got me through the row today!), and John too. Congrats!

4. coach | August 27, 2009 at 9:01 am

Tod C.: 8:07
    Jenn J.: 9:18

Matt W.: 7:47

5. jwood30 | August 27, 2009 at 9:15 am

Awesome work everybody. Joe you’re the man. JW

6. Jessica | August 27, 2009 at 9:57 am

Shout out to my heat: Jen M. and Cari, amazing job! Thanks for providing some intense competition.

7. cdellinger | August 27, 2009 at 10:32 am

Amazing job today everyone! The athleticism, energy, camaraderie and coaching was incredible. Way to go Jen M. and Jessica…what a heat!

8. InNeedofCalculator | August 27, 2009 at 10:49 am

WOOT! GREAT job everyone! Way to go Joe.

9. sub10NARF | August 27, 2009 at 10:51 am

Joe was indeed The Man today, and my bet is that he can go significantly faster -he just didn’t want to totally destroy 702 and my wills. On behalf of 702 and myself, we guarantee (did I really say that) that one of us will break 7:00 next time.

714

• InNeedofCalculator | August 27, 2009 at 11:38 am

NICE! I’m liking it 702 and 714 and I’m totally feel’n like the kid in detention when everyone else got to play at recess.

• coach | August 27, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I hate to break it to you brother, but I was just checking the pictures from this morning, and we got one of your display post-WOD: 7:24.6.

Sorry, John, but I’m still holding you to “sub-seven.”

10. swimdra | August 27, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Mel, Rebekka and John, you all are awe inspiring with the amount of time and energy you devote to MPH. Thanks for all you do.

Thanks to everyone in the 7am class (and the early 8am) for the cheering, it definatly helped me get through the workout. Great work everyone.

My favorite part of the workout: John S. asking Joe if he could at least pretend to be tired after pulling a 6:51.

Sid

11. Mrs. Finkenstadt | August 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm

That was definitely my favorite part, too! And, just want to point out that Jen M is still the girl to beat today. Killer time Jen!

12. mccuej14 | August 27, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Although, I’ve got Cari, Jess and several others right on my heels!

John S – thanks for the pointers during the warm-up… def. helped with the workout today.

Great job today everyone!

13. daviesag | August 27, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Cari and Jen – the battle continues. Just one second difference again! Sorry I missed out. It’s bad when work controls your life. I am fortunate it doesn’t happen too often.

14. Rob | August 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Big thanks to Mel and B-Kay. You guys built quite an operation here.

BTW – business cards?

15. coach | August 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the comments, they are truly appreciated!

I am sorry that I did not get to say the following earlier this afternoon or evening: we cannot forget to recognize our strong and fearless leader, John. It is truly because of him that we have CrossFit MPH to train at every day. It is no small feat to have the guts to leave something secure (no matter how unpleasant) and strike out on your own, and this is exactly what he did. We have our box because of his ambition and unrelenting commitment to perfection.

John’s spirit embodies CrossFit MPH. He is the greatest coach (and human being) that I have ever worked with or been coached by, and anyone who has seen him in action knows how much he cares about every athlete in the room. His standards of excellence are through the roof, and he will stop at nothing to make sure each and every person achieves them. You know you are going to have a good time, be in safe hands, and be pushed harder than you thought possible when John steps out to teach the class.

Thank you a million times, John.

Melody

• baykay | August 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Thank you, John, for being a truly remarkable individual, coach and mentor.

~Rebekka

16. InNeedofCalculator | August 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

After reading and feeling like I just had to be a part of it all I headed to CrossFit Vegas (I’ll post pics if the coaches let me). It had a good feel to it. 3 rounds for time : snatch at 95/65 and 400 meter run. Got stuck with the 65 and did the workout at 10:38. Can’t wait to be back. Thanks again to all the coaches that although I’m supposed to be on vakay I rather spend time at a crossfit.