Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

kris steve caitlin situp
We posted a video of the first part of today’s workout back in April—you can get it here.

bear complex
7-7-7-7-7

The barbell bear complex consists, sequentially, of:

• power clean
  • front squat
  • push press
  • back squat
  • behind-the-neck push press
  • then, return the bar to the ground for the next power clean

The movements may be modified, broken-up or combined in any way, so long as these parameters are met:

1. The power clean starts at the ground and finishes at full hip extension. Squat cleans and/or a deadlift + hang power clean combination are acceptable.
  2. Squats must finish at, or below the parallel position and presses must finish locked-out overhead.
  3. Presses may be strict presses, push presses, or push jerks.
  4. Squats and presses can be distinct or combined into a thruster. However, you may not receive the clean in a (front) squat and move directly into a thruster—stand first.
  5. You may rest anywhere but on the floor, even to re-grip.

then, three rounds; rest amply between rounds:
max strict pull-up

1. roselenaramirez1 | September 28, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Coaches. I hope you will repet that nutrition seminar later on. I need it soooo much! I am in Salt Lake City, and I did find a Crossfit facility that is close to the hotel. Looks fine, lets see. I will post something if I can. Also, to the rest of the team: GREAT JOB! You just rocks, and I miss workk out with you guys and our coaches! See you next week I hope. Keep staying honest!

2. eyechip | September 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I am chomping at the bit for this one!! My loins are trembling with excitement at doing a bear complex for real. I am charging through that door at 5PM and plan on crawling back out the door at 6PM. Nothing less. Might even take my shirt off. But I will never remove my bravado!! See you all tomorrow.

Stu

3. Kimmie | September 29, 2009 at 8:11 am

LOL! OMG I am starting to live for Stu’s post.

4. coach | September 29, 2009 at 9:11 am

Samir M.: 45-45-45-45-45-lbs., 10, 5, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Caitlin F.: 45-45-45-45-45-lbs., 10, 4, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Alex M.: 45-45-65-65-65-lbs., 11, 8, 7 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Kris C.: 53-58-58-58x-53-lbs., 9, 7, 6 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Sakar P.: 65-65-65-65-65-lbs., 7, 5,2
    Tamra F.: 45-45-65-65-70x-lbs., 4, 6, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Kim H.: 65-75-75-80-80x-lbs., 12, 10, 5 (sub: strict bodyrow)
    Alfred J.: 75-95-100-105-115-lbs., 6, 5, 2
    Borja G.: 75-95-100-105-95-lbs., 5, 4, 4
    Jen M.: 53-63-68-73-78x-lbs., 3, 10, 7 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Mayra C.: 53-63-63x-58-58-lbs., 8, 4, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    John S.: 85-95-105-110-115x-lbs., 7, 4, 3
    David O.: 85-95-105-110-115x-lbs., 7, 4, 5
    Neil A.: 85-95-105-110-115-lbs., 2, 2, 1
    Sean M.: 75-95-105x-110x-95-lbs., 6, 3, 3 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Rob K.: 95-95-95-105-105x-lbs., 16, 9, 5
    Mike S.: 95-105-115x-105x-95x-lbs., 12, 8, 6
    Steve D.: 75-95-115-135-155x-lbs., 15, 9, 7
    Jeff W.: 75-85-95-95-95-lbs., 7, 7, 5
    John C.: 45-65-45-45-45-lbs., 10, 8, 9 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Alise F.: 65-65-65-70-75-lbs.
    Michelle C.: 45-45-50-50-50-lbs., 13, 16, 12 (sub: strict bodyrow)
    Ivy F.: 65-75-85-90x-90x-lbs., 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue), 8, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Cari D.: 65-70-65-65-65-lbs., 14, 7, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    StuLu.: 65-70-85-90x-90-lbs., 7, 6, 6
    Josh Mc.: 75-95-115-145-150x-lbs., 15, 9, 6
    David C.: 45-55-55-55-55-lbs., 3, 4, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Brendan K.: 75-75-75-85-85-lbs., 8, 6, 2
    Sidra C.: 53-63-68-73-63-lbs., 7, 5, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Joe P.: 95-95-105-115-125-lbs., 5, 3, 3
    Jenn J.: 53-63x-63-58-53-lbs., 10, 5, 3 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Lisa C.: 45-50-50-50-50-lbs., 11, 6, 5 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Dave R.: 95-115-135-155x-155x-lbs., 17, 8, 6
    Meghan M.: 65-75-85-90-100-lbs., 6, 4, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Jeremy N.: 75-85-95-95-95-lbs., 8, 6, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Joanna L.: 33-33-33-33-33-lbs., 25 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, green), 8, 9 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Jonathan H.: 45-45-45-45-45-lbs., 2, 6, 4 (sub: jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Teal B.: 33-33-33-33-33-lbs., 13, 8, 6 (sub: strict bodyrow)

• Jen M. | September 30, 2009 at 8:25 am

look how long the scores list is getting!

welcome to everyone i haven’t had a chance to meet yet

~ jen

5. voidwhichbinds | September 29, 2009 at 10:06 am

Hey team – I had an adventure last week that the coaches suggested I share with you – file it under probably never happen, but glad i do crossfit:

This last week, i was sick for most of it – but Friday was a big day – i’d been invited to take an introduction course in chemical warfare preparation with the marine corps. The marine corps moto is Semper Fedelis – Always Faithful – and this means being always ready, and always fit. The first part of the day was classroom work – then a 1 mile run – followed by the first half of the 5 mile agility course (the non shooting, not explody part). The course was running, jumping, climbing, rolling – pulling – moving obstacles – and much to my surprise, as well as that of my colleagues, I kept up with the much younger, fitter men. Truth to tell, i was pushing really hard, and nearly puked – but unlike my pre-crossfit life, I knew I could push really hard, then again, and one more time faster.

Then the difficult part of the day started — turning out and suiting up in chemical warfare gear – head to toe suits, full filter face masks and rubber gloves and overshoes. That was all copacetic – but then as a lesson in communication and effort, we were given a variety of tasks to perform. First we had to put together a puzzle – with gloves and the mask – which makes you clumsy and it’s hard to communciate. Then we threw balls at trash cans. Then we had to carry boxes back and forth on the field – and finally, we had to follow mock emergency procedures and strap someone on a ‘sked’ and drag them down a football field. I was the only civilian on my team, and we were the only team to finish both the box carry and the sked drag first – because I ran with my boxes and pulled as hard as I could on the sked. Then we walked/ran a mile to the ‘box’ – where they put us a room with a tear gas source – here we did jumping jacks, pushups, and ever so briefly, let some gas into our mask to practice cleaning it out. ouch.

One of the guys on my squad for the day said ‘hey doc, you were dang smart there in the classroom; but I’m suprised you were able to hang with us grunts during the physical stuff” I smiled and said “Crossfit.” Another grunt said “damn, had I known that I wouldn’t have taken it easy on ya.” General laughter and such ensued. Before crossfit, I wouldn’t have known well how to dig -how to focus – how to remain calm and focused on the task at hand; how to regulate my breathing under effort and through the gas mask.

This day of activity was a gesture of respect for the work I do with emergency responders – the most meaningful moment was when the Master Sergeant said “hey doc, you performed adequately.” I don’t expect I’ll ever face a gas attack – but I do expect now and then I’ll have to work hard – and thanks to working with CrossfitMPH, i know what that’s like.

Time for Burpees
    Tod

• train2live | September 29, 2009 at 10:19 am

Tod,

What an awesome story!! You must have felt incredible after everything was completed. Way to represent!!!

702

• Kimmie | September 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

That was so cool Tod!

• eyechip | September 29, 2009 at 12:11 pm

That is an awesome story Tod. Real life benefits of Crossfit seem to creep up all the time. Well, not that Chemical Warfare should be considered “real life” (let’s hope) but the real-life training you had as contrast. I think the coaches should get 20 sets of Chemical Warfare Gear so that we can do Fight Gone Really Really Bad in the future.

• Mrs. Finkenstadt | September 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Tod, GREAT story!!!

6. roselenaramirez1 | September 29, 2009 at 10:14 am

SLCCrossfit is huge! but nothing compares with the big red! Today Snaches day: 7 set of 1: 35, 55, 85x, 85x, 85x, 85x
    Even though I could not completed the set, they said I did have it. I love snaches!

• Kimmie | September 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

Way to go Roselena!

7. roselenaramirez1 | September 29, 2009 at 10:20 am

Tod, you totally rock!

8. jwood30 | September 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

Sounds cool Tod! Jeff

9. roselenaramirez1 | September 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

I did jumped one. My performace was 35, 55, 75, and the 85x time 4

10. ashacooper | September 29, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Very cool, Tod.
    Roselena, good to know you’re still working hard!

Today’s workout was no joke! My arms are still trembling.

11. eyechip | September 29, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Today was: AWESOME!

Cari: You Rocked! The Casbah. This Town. Hell, YOU ROCKED MY WORLD! Giving it all, never stopping, even as you were bleeding from your back. You have got to love a woman who is blood and guts.

Ivy: It was amazing to work out with you. I was not looking at your ass, I promise, just your poise and grace through a hell of a great workout. (O.K., I was looking at your ass, but just for a moment.)

Josh: Your freaking me out dude. That was one amazing display of some kind of WOW.

And the rest: Well done!

Tomorrow at noon (I know…weird time) but someone has gotta fill the lunch spot or John and Melody might, well, start going out for lunch instead.

Stu

12. coach | September 29, 2009 at 9:17 pm

A great day for all.

Congratulations Josh and Meghan for putting up successful, seven-rep bear complexes at 145 pounds and 100 pounds, respectively.

John and Melody