Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday, October 2, 2009

group run
Thank you to all who came out for last night’s seminar. Here are the topics we covered, with links to resources we used, in order of presentation:

Remember that nutrition is foundational to health, wellness and fitness. Success in achieving functionality, longevity and performance starts here.

Let us know what you thought about the discussion and any suggestions for improving the presentation, and if you have any unanswered questions.

push jerk (max attempt)

Jonathan H.: 95-90-90-95-95-95-95-lbs.
    Ivy F.: 105-115-115-120-120x-105-105-lbs.
    Josh O.: 135-135-145-145-145-135-135-lbs.
    Ricky B.: 115-135-135-135-135-125-125-lbs.
    Dave R.: 185-195-205-215-225x-225x-225x-lbs.

2. Rob | October 2, 2009 at 11:22 am

Thanks to all the coaches for putting on the nutrition seminar last night.

As John mentioned during class this morning, I have been doing strict paleo for almost 1.5 years. And by “strict,” I mean the only “cheat” meal I’ve had during that time was Thanksgiving. I stopped drinking milk, eating beans etc. My only exception is alcohol – because I figure some lines just shouldn’t be crossed. Ever. 🙂

Anyway, to the extent you are interested, here are some observations of someone who has been doing this for a while.

While going strict paleo was very hard at first, it quickly became very easy and very natural. When I first started, I really missed bagels, pizza and especially Starbucks’ Chai Tea Lattes. But that went away after a couple of weeks and I haven’t had any cravings for some time. Even if I had cravings for bread or sugar, it wouldn’t be worth it. Once you are on strict paleo for a while, your body re-sets to its natural insulin resistance. If you then eat grains or sugar, your body has a response like when you were 5 years old – you have a legitimate sugar high followed by a really, really bad crash.

For me, what separates paleo from everything else is that it isn’t a diet. Zone is a diet. Atkins is a diet. Weightwatchers is a diet. Paleo is a lifestyle. All diets are ultimately unsustainable because they are unnatural. But Paleo is the *most* natural way to eat, since you are only eating what you have evolved to eat. As a lifestyle, paleo just makes too much sense to do anything else.

For those interested, I highly recommend two books to read to educate yourself about what foods you should eat. The first is “The Paleo Diet” by Professor Loren Cordain:

This provides a good basis for showing what foods we have evolved to eat, and why we should focus only on those foods. You can also sign up for weekly newsletters from the site, which are pretty interesting. The second is “Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes.

This is not nearly as quick a read, but it gives a detailed history of the science of food, and where we went wrong.

At bottom, once you go strict paleo for a while, you start to experience all the things that people talk about: more energy, better performance, rarely get sick, drop excess body fat etc. I personally went through a common phenomena called “leaning out” – which basically consisted of losing weight even though I was eating around 4000 calories a day. I eventually lost 10 pounds, which was somewhat unwelcome because I’m not a big guy to begin with. But it was all body fat, so I was eventually OK with it. 🙂

Hope that helps, I’m happy to answer any questions that people may have – either through here or in person.

• mikeheartspullups | October 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Rob – John mentioned this morning that you were strict paleo for a long while. Your commitment is very, very impressive. I’ve been *mostly* paleo for about 8 months, and although I imagine your changes have been far more profound, I would absolutely echo your observations. In particular, I share your need to eat 4,000 calories a day to keep from dropping off the face of the earth. I find my fat calorie consumption absolutely ridiculous, but without it, i can’t even think straight a mere 3 hours after a meal.

The purpose of this post is to tell our teammates (the ones who have not taken any steps to address their diets) that it’s not as hard as it looks/sounds. First — and John may head-butt me for this — you don’t need to be as committed as Rob for this to work (although it will work really fast if you are). Every little bit helps. When I started making dietary changes, we were Zoning. I started by eating a Zone breakfast, and then doing whatever I wanted the rest of the day. Eventually it became breakfast and dinner (I felt lunch was hardest to control as it was during the workday). Over time, I learned to have control over almost all the food I ate. Anyone can do the same. Don’t be discouraged if it seems too hard to implement the whole dietary change at once. Take it a meal at a time, or whatever way works for you. It can be a gradual change. In fact, it probably should be, because as Rob said (and I totally agree) — it’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle, and lifestyle changes take time.

Sakar and I keep a *mostly* paleo house. There is a cupboard of death from before our zone/paleo days, and all of the grain-based carbs (oatmeal and pancake mix) seem to have migrated there in a massive diaspora. I can’t remember the last time I opened it, but every time I do, I feel that a red light emanates. If you are curious about our shopping or recipes, feel free to ask.

And if you are among those who have not tried this out, I really hope you’ll give it a go. Good luck!

3. Mrs. Finkenstadt | October 2, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I’m sorry to have had to miss last night’s presentation. I was wondering if the coaches would put up the Q&A from last night, perhaps in the nutrition information link. Also, if anyone is interested in maybe doing a paleo mutual support thing (dunno what it would be called, really) where we help each other stay accountable for a specific period of time, I would be very into that. You can email me at ivy.lange@gmail.com if you think that may be something you’d like to do.

4. operationyetifit | October 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Didn’t make it to the gym this morning so did the next best thing and hit the workout on my own. They looked closer to push presses than push-jerks, cause I have trouble with jerks

95-105-105-110-110-115-115

-s

5. swimdra | October 2, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I want to thank the coaches for putting on the nutrition presentation last night. I feel like the more exposure I have to crossfit/paleo the better all of the information seeps in. It was nice to have real world examples of how paleo affects both short and long term health.

Sidra

6. swimdra | October 2, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Also, I loved the Rippetoe quote about chickens. My dad grew up on a farm with chickens and has always said almost verbatim what Rippetoe said.

The quote was: Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. Fuck chickens.

Sid

7. ashacooper | October 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I enjoyed and benefited from last night’s discussion. I’ve tried going Paleo before, but when those sugar cravings hit, I get kind of nutty and reach for the old familiar. Once I retreat, it’s like I’m sucked back into the vacuum and it becomes harder to get out.

The last few times I tried Paleo, I went full-throttle. I came to the conclusion earlier today that it should probably be a gradual, more deliberate shift. So, Mike, it was good to see your comments earlier. For the most part, I know when and where I’m going to encounter problems — 3pm Monday-Thursday and airports. I’ve just got to stay on top of things, I suppose.

I will try to eat meat…I suppose. While chickens might deserve their fate, I still think they taste pretty bad. The worse food ever is a chicken breast. Yuck. Lately, I’ve tried to disguise the taste of most meats by cooking stews filled with veggies. If anyone has any good recipes, please send them my way: ashacooper@yahoo.com.

As I clearly admitted last night, I have a sweet tooth. I am fully aware that this sweet tooth if bad for my health, and that’s why I’m so anxious to get everything in check. I do not want diabetes or any of that other stuff that comes from over-consumption of sugar. While I like fruits ALOT, I don’t view them as dessert (at least not yet). While I’m sure that day will come, until then, I welcome all Paleo-compliant dessert recipes.

I also welcome help along the way. I’m very serious about getting my eating habits in check. I’m open to advice, suggestions, recipes, etc at any time.

Coaches, thanks for the links and all of the information. I’m sure I will reference them frequently (already have a few times today). I also want to thank you for emphasizing a comprehensive fitness and health plan.

8. Rob | October 2, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I agree with Mike, that paleo is definitely something that you can implement over time. I did that myself, I slowly cut out certain foods over the course of a couple weeks, until I was strict paleo by the end. The one thing to remember is that you should not get discouraged if you eat sugar/grains when you’re trying to get on the wagon. It’s like a smoker who is trying to quit, but has a couple cigarettes while at a party. That doesn’t mean that she should go back to 2 packs a day after one lapse. Same here, just go back to eating paleo foods, and you’ll benefit over time.

I also do a lot of traveling, so I understand the problems with eating at airports and on the road. If there are no healthy options, the easiest thing to do is to buy two sandwiches, and then throw away the bread and cheese and eat the sandwich “innards.” Usually you can find fruit and nuts at airports, so just supplement your innards with that. It’s not great, but it keeps you on the wagon.