Tuesday, October 6, 2009

1. operationyetifit | October 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Our coaches repeatedly stress the real world applications of Cross-Fit. And recently we saw a great post from one of our teammates about how much it helped in keeping cool and staying active in a simulation emergency using biochemical agents. But what could be a more basic, more primitive than this scenario:

Guhgk the caveman (who has a great Paleo diet, btw) has just got his hands on some delicious fermented berry juice. A little tipsy, but quite merry,
    he wanders off; suddenly he finds himself quite a distance away from the rest of his tribe and their fires. The cool forest air and the howls of various critters rapidly sober him up and bring him to his sense. He’s in a lot of danger… he needs to get back home quick… or the leopards are gonna get him. He takes off, sprinting as hard as can. He drops his primitive cup of primitive brew, but he just can’t let it go (cause it’s soooo good). He takes a big swig, and takes off again.

And again it falls, and again he stops and takes a big swig.

Wanna know how Gughk feels? Wanna see if all that Cross-Fit has real-world benefits?

Join us for the First Annual Save the Yeti Beer Mile on Saturday, October 24. Keeping in the cross-fit spirit some subs (e.g. Smirnoff Ice) will be allowed 🙂

IMPORTANT: This is NOT a Cross-Fit MPH event, and our coaches have NOTHING to do with its organization (though we’d love see them running with us) so please drop me a line at sakarp@gmail.com to get more information

• IWant2GetStronger | October 6, 2009 at 10:34 am

I’m not saying I condone drinking (whom I kidding ), but I’m giving A+ for creative writing 🙂

2. Jen M. | October 6, 2009 at 9:46 am

I think I need a foam roller in my office.

• Kimmie | October 6, 2009 at 10:57 am

Me too Jen. I just walked to CVS for some Advil though. Whewww…Karen kicked my arsenal today. If I ever see her on the street Imma have some words for her. *mumbling to self*

3. coach | October 6, 2009 at 9:59 am

Austin W.: 115-125-125-lbs., 9:38
    Steve D.: 155-175-165-lbs., 7:18
    Joe P.: 155-155-155-lbs., 7:37
    Roselena R.: 115-115-105-lbs., dnf
    Rob K.: 155-155x-155-lbs., 8:38
    Brendan K.: 105-105-105-lbs., dnf
    Lisa C.: 75-75-75-lbs. (sub: muscle clean and push press)
    Dave R.: 215-225x-205-205-lbs., 6:20

Charles H.: 110
      David C.: 107
      StuLu.: 126
      Lee P.: 113
      Joanna L.: 130

• train2live | October 6, 2009 at 11:07 am

Jess, You Rock! Nice job today. I felt like I was right there with you for the first 43, which I did w/o stopping…I heard you call 50 shrotly after.

For me it was not the squat that hurt me, because you can always do another squat, but it was my shoulders that were killing me from yesterday’s workout…not to mention the 50 penalty burpies for being a knucklehead on the clean and jerk. I look forward to my next meeting with Karen.

702

• mikeheartspullups | October 6, 2009 at 11:25 am

Yea, Jess was a BEAST today. 6:54? We all got dusted (as per usual)…

• Jessica | October 6, 2009 at 1:00 pm

It must have been the fish oil I started taking on Saturday per John and Mel’s advice.

4. IWant2GetStronger | October 6, 2009 at 10:31 am

JESSICA!!!! 🙂 Great job today! Is that an MPH record?

5. mchofia | October 6, 2009 at 10:37 am

Jess you rocked Karen! You made it look easy. I guess that goes to show that positive body language will take you far.

Also, Jen’s post reminded me that I too had product recommendation questions on 1. foam rollers and 2. fish oil pills. Is there a particular dosage/brand I should be looking for?

6. BigEngineSmallGasTank | October 6, 2009 at 10:41 am

Jen sent me this quote from an affiliate, it might be come my new motto:

“The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy sh*t up off the ground.” – Coach Rip

7. operationyetifit | October 6, 2009 at 11:02 am

Nice job Jess! You’re a monster (but a mostly cute monster)

I also have to put this out there. My heart swells with pride every time I see Mike (aka Goodtimes) with the biggest numbers on a lift. We all know that pound for pound he’s a badass but its even more badass that he can frequently outlift those of us that have a weight advantage on him.

• mikeheartspullups | October 6, 2009 at 11:20 am

Who’s “Goodtimes?” I dunno whom you’re talking about…

Sean: I totally agree. It’s all about picking up heavy sh*t.

8. tbferg | October 6, 2009 at 11:53 am

My back is cramping, and I can’t straighten my arms. Good workout, I guess.

I’m really impressed with some of those Karen scores. Nice job, all.

9. coach | October 6, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Sean and Jen,

Here are two links for weightlifting shoes:

At the bottom of Werksan’s shoe page, the “Risto” shoe is advertised as running wider than average…

Mel, B-kay and most of our folks lift in Do-Win’s (because they are generally the most affordable and hold up extremely well). I lift in Adidas (Ironwork II), because they have a low heel profile.

This addresses one area, but we still need something flat-soled for general CrossFit activities.

• coach | October 6, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Incidentally, here is some quick Q&A on weightlifting shoes: helpful? Yes (for strength training). Necessary? No. What is necessary? Anything but running shoes—something flat-soled with little to no heel rise and/or cushion (read: squishy, unstable, injury-inducing softness). What do we recommend, generally? Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars are the perfect catch-all.

• meghanmcnally | October 6, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I have the do-win’s from rogue and while I like them, the upper part is made of suede and I’ve found that they have streched out a little too much over time. I think I like the adidas better but they are also more expensive (although I’ve heard the soles in the newest design/generation are a little weird, something about tiny holes for ventilation).

hurray! my first post!

• coach | October 6, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Meghan,

Great information. And welcome to the fray.

Good job tonight. Heavier, heavier! I think we’re going to start calling you “Wheelhouse.” What do you think…no good?

10. tubameat | October 6, 2009 at 2:18 pm

GUYS!

is anybody else going to the hopper challenge at xfit BWI in a cuppla weeks?

Steve

• mikeheartspullups | October 6, 2009 at 3:34 pm

That actually looks really cool, but I’m out of town this weekend.

I know where I’ll be on the 24th, though — rockin the “First Annual Save the Yeti Beer Mile”!

• coach | October 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Steve,

We don’t have any athletes going—the event was full before we opened. Are you going to compete?

11. Rob | October 6, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I think the entire community wants to know why Mike is called “Goodtimes.” I feel there is a story there, and we will be better off knowing it.

I can’t believe we’re doing the beer mile on the 24th. I’ll be out of town that weekend. Can I nominate Goodtimes to drink twice as much in my honor?

12. coach | October 6, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Gang,

I hope everyone continues to check the posts for evening updates.

At 5p, Dave and Josh battled it out for “Karen” supremacy (after Dave cleaned 225-lbs., and clean and jerked 215-lbs.). And Charles not only came in for the WOD at 5p, but stayed through the 6p Elements class to work on his squat mechanics—three workouts and a mess of squat instruction is good work for two days, let alone two hours. At 7p, Lee and Joanna both completed their first met-con workout, and Meghan absolutely cleaned up (no pun intended): 155-lb. clean and jerk and a 6:17 “Karen.”

Excellent work tonight. PM groups are serving notice…

13. Jessica | October 6, 2009 at 9:08 pm