Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday, December 4, 2009

Congratulations Lynsey H., for completing our Elements Workshop curriculum!

If you missed yesterday’s post, please get it here. Mike S. has graciously organized a food and clothing drive for us this holiday season, and the first of many announcements was made there.

Also, there is a new AddThis “SHARE” link in the right sidebar. We have to be honest with you—we have no idea what this does, but Shana S. asked for it a few days ago. We think this has something to do with what the kids (and StuLu) are doing these days with that “Myface,” or “Spacebook” stuff, but we can’t be sure.

front squat (max attempt)
5-5-5-5-5

Compare results to January 19, 2009.

for time:
30-20-10
pushup
sit-up + jump and reach, 18″ target above maximum standing reach

1. StuLu | December 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I am curious. As is typical for me. Where the hell is Cari these days? I miss her gentle persuasion of encouragement. “Paging Cari…Cari, please report to the little box on Church St. to meet your party immediately.”

Remember the best hour of the day Cari? You have missed some great ones. And I miss you.

2. coach | December 4, 2009 at 9:33 am

Caitlin F.: 115x-105-105-110x-95-lbs., 8:07
    Lynsey H.: 55-60-60-60-60-lbs., 7:58 (sub: kneeling pushup)
    Ralph A.: 145-155-165-175-185-lbs., 9:52
    Tamra F.: 115-115-120x-115x-95-lbs., 9:30
    Alex M.: 145-155-165-175x-175x-lbs., 9:46
    David O.: 185-195-200-205x-x-lbs., 8:34
    Sidra C.: 115-125-135-145x-x-lbs., 11:10
    Meghan M.: 185-195x-195x-195x-x-lbs., 9:24
    Jen M.: 75-x-x-x-x-lbs., 8:11 (sub: sit-up)
    Sean M.: 185-185-185-185-185-lbs., 8:17 (sub: sit-up)
    Ivy F.: 135-145-155x-155x-x-lbs., 11:02
    Jessica H.: 95-105-105-110x-x-lbs., 7:40
    Charles H.: 135-155-175-175-195x-lbs., 7:08
    Neil A.: 175-185-195x-195x-195x-lbs., 6:37
    Josh O.: 165-175-185-205-225-lbs., 7:11
    Stulu: 145x-145-155x-155x-x-lbs., 9:44
    Jeff W.: 165-170-175x-x-x-lbs., 8:59
    Mead O.: 65-65-65-x-x-lbs., 10:13 (sub: sit-up)
    Mike S.: 185-195-205x-205x-x-lbs., 5:58
    Travis O.: 185-195-205-215x-x-lbs., 12:27
    Daniel B.: 75-85-85-85-85-lbs., 13:16
    Jonathan H.: 125-130x-130x-x-x-lbs., 9:30
    Roselena R.: 125-135-140x-x-x-lbs., 12:27

3. roselenaramirez1 | December 4, 2009 at 9:33 am

That tool allow you to share MPH page with your friends in a social community such as Facebook, or MySpace, or any other possible. Kind of Stulu idea: spread the voice about MPH. Lets make a club of fans for MPH.

4. tbferg | December 4, 2009 at 10:06 am

Great job, folks. Some of you put up some impressive numbers this morning!

After the last two WODs, I can’t walk. Hell, I can barely sit in my chair.

• meghanmcnally | December 4, 2009 at 10:24 am

i could hardly wash my hair this morning because my arms were so tired from today and yesterday… just waiting for the soreness to set in!

5. Mrs. Finkenstadt | December 4, 2009 at 10:30 am

So many PR’s! Way to round out a great week.

6. coach | December 4, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Team,

Incredible job this week. Coming out of the Thanksgiving break, there were three max efforts and far too many PR’s to list (though you’re welcome to note yours anytime). Keep up the great work.

Look for two important pieces of information to be posted over the next few days:

On Sunday, we’re going to define some important terms related to post-workout response—“soreness,” “tightness,” “hurt” and “injury” are not interchangeable words and have very specific meaning in this environment. We will teach you to how describe what you’re feeling more clearly, in order that we may help you recover faster.

Also, news on the t-shirts is forthcoming…

Enjoy the weekend.

• StuLu | December 4, 2009 at 3:22 pm

John,

I really dig this new approach to multiple rep lifts where we push the envelope to failure with the end result still being the positive of getting weight pr’s at lesser reps. I saw this stroke of brilliance earlier in the week. While I did PR for three reps at 305lbs, I failed on my last attempt for 315lbs BUT was able to get one rep at this – which ended up being a 1 rep PR for me. One failure leads to another success in this case.

This is why I pay you the big bucks. To think of little things that can eek out a bit more than we might have ever thought of on our own. Also, given the team’s rather challenged way with numbers (by the way…could we all have little MPH notebooks like Steve in order to keep count of our reps?) it would be hard to imagine any of us even having the equal numbers of plates on each side if on our own!

I commend you guys for thinking of this new formula/strategy…one of the many ways that MPH is the best damn value in the city. Of course, if I completely misunderstood this new strategy then I apologize and should well be flogged.

Finally, I would also love, as an adjunct to the discussion next week about soreness, tightness, and the other adjectives used to describe how I feel right now, to get some insight from you on workout patterns and rest days…..(i.e. five days on – two days off, three days on – one day off, one day on – six days off etc.). That is, what you feel is the best regiment for people to follow….or at the least the best pattern for me: the 45 year-old who wants to become a professional cage-fighter by next summer.

Have a great weekend everyone!!! See ya Monday on “The Street.”

• train2live | December 4, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Coach,

I love this new approach too. In the past I have always felt like I could go heavier, but I tend to burn myself out before I get to the heavy loads. Using today’s approach I was able to front squat, for 5 reps, a load that was previously my 1 rep max. I also exceeded my 1 rep max today.

I am amazed by my own strength gains since MPH opened its doors…it is nothing short of AWESOME!! Thank you.

Dave O

7. IWant2GetStronger | December 4, 2009 at 2:27 pm

just one lil insy binsy post ” T-SHIRT” yay – “NO CUDDLING NOW”

so how about the pants?