Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday, January 23, 2010

We first “met” Steve D. years ago in the basement of our old “Globo Gym.” There, Steve toiled for what seemed like two hours at two exercises: Hammer Strength Chest Press (piled to the ends with plates) and what could only be called “Abdominal Auto-asphyxiation.” (Steve, if it makes you feel any better, we feel really bad about what we are going to say next…). See, Steve would grab the heaviest dumbbell he could find, straddle his throat with it, and do crunches on the biggest, greenest stability ball in the gym. It made us extremely nervous watching him do this. One day Steve came in to the gym, asked us if he could use our bumper plates to overhead squat (?!), and then disappeared…

In 2007, paths crossed again when Steve and Melody worked out together at CrossFit DC for a short time. In July 2008, we ran into Steve at a CrossFit certification in Virginia Beach. So, it was no surprise last September to see Steve wander in one evening, and come in for his first workout the following Sunday.

From the beginning, Steve has been the kind of athlete we dream about. Steve is unquestionably our most vocal advocate, and that says a lot, considering StuLu works out here. He appreciates, if not demands that which forms the foundation of our program and coaching—preparation, organization and attention to detail—enough to tout it wherever he travels. What is more, having Steve in the gym is like having an extra coach. Provided he isn’t lost in his own workout (and sometimes even when he is) you can almost certainly hear him cheer you on and praise all of your accomplishments. How many times have you heard him shout, “Be aggressive!”, “Use your breath as your belt!”, or “Through the heel of your hands!”, to name a few. He is also the author of one of our favorite self assessments: “It doesn’t hurt as much when you do it right.” And do you remember Steve’s first week here when he raised the standard of movement for everyone?

What you may not know about Steve is his tireless work ethic. Steve’s schedule usually allows him to fill our afternoon lull. He is always coming in before or after workouts, and on his rest days to stretch, foam roll, practice various skills and drills, or wax philosophical on nutrition and fitness.

We could go on like this forever. His physical abilities aside, it is his passion for fitness and, more importantly, for you and our community that earns him this workout today. Steve happens to also be a stellar athlete, which is just another testament to his commitment, work ethic and personality.

Steve also likes a good challenge. The harder the workout, the harder he works. So, Steve, today’s workout is for you. Thank you for being a part of MPH.

–Melody, Rebekka and John

TubaSteve
for time:
21x weighted burpee @ 110/70-lbs.
200m carry @ 110/70-lbs.
21x squat clean @ 110/70-lbs.
400m carry
21x weighted pull-up @ 55/35-lbs.
400m carry
21x thruster @ 110/70-lbs.
200m carry
21x burpee + clean + thruster @ 110/70-lbs.

1. tubameat | January 23, 2010 at 12:06 am

GUYS!

thank you for giving me this wod.
    it KILLS me that i cant do this at the box tomorrow with everyone. (that might be a good thing actually, as today’s mashed cauliflower had two heads of roasted garlic in it- some things are best left unshared)
    i will do it in the alleyway behind my house with my homemade chinup bar and my big fat handled adjustable dumbells.
    i will go pedal to the metal- fuck pacing, fuck strategy. full throttle, wide open. kill. attack. DOMINATE. look it in the eye and punch it in the fucking mouth.
    i want the neighbors to think somebody is slaughtering a bull back there. (the same neighbors i am trying to get to come to the free intro class…)
    i may be crying or puking or bleeding by the end (maybe even all three), but i will still finish on my feet.

and then i will have a coconut shake.

thanks again guys, training at MPH has truly been the highlight of my crossfit experience and it is an honor to get my own wod. i will try my best to do it justice.

KEEP SQUATTIN’!

steve d

2. StuLu | January 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

Steve,

I will tackle this WOD in some form or another in my hotel gym today. I can’t wait to see the look on people’s face as I run out of the lobby as fast as I can carrying two dumbbells screaming “empty the tank!!!”

I want to thank Steve on “his” day for the amazing encouragement and motivation he instills when I work out with him. Sharing a bar with you IS liking having another “coach” on hand as you do more then just yell encouragement, you provide practical advice and great training tips. I will never forget your help with muscle-ups a few weeks back..you gave me the tools and asked for nothing but my best effort in return. It would be so easy given your athleticism and level of training for you to look down at the mere mortals of the box who work out beside you – but every day you give us all your ceaseless positive energy and treat us as if we are equals. I wish I could be half the athlete you are. And more importantly, half the gentleman.

So, given that I am in Mexico right now I am going to go find a goat in some village, kill it with my bare hands, and eat it for dinner. With a light tapanade of chiptotle relish and a side of mashed cauliflower of course!

StuLu

3. Rob | January 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

Steve, you’re fun to be around. Your workout, not so much.

4. train2live | January 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

Steve,

First of all, I echo Stu Lu’s comments…the second paragraph. What an amazing workout! I was trying to channel your focus and intensity today, but I still ended with a DNF…only 16 BCT’s more to get to the finish line. I look forward to meeting this workout again. It aptly represents you and your commitment to our community. I have often said that I want to be just like you when I grow up. You set the bar that I strive to meet. Thanks for all your coaching and encouragement.

On a side note, while it was great to be in Fla. working out in 70+ degree weather, it felt even better being back at home…CrossfitMPH. I encourage others to get out there and experience other Crossfit affiliates. The reason I encourage this is because it is cool to experience the community elsewhere, but more importantly, you should do it so that you have some reference for the quality of training we receive at MPH. John, Mel and BK, you are awesome and the product you deliver is nothing short of spectacular!!! Thank you sooooo much!! Oh, and thanks for the T-shirt too. I will wear it proudly!

Dave O.

5. coach | January 23, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Koji H.: 22:34 (25-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, pull-up, single-arm thruster)
    Jessica H.: 23:20 (25-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbell carry, pull-up)
    Linda K.: 23:34 (15-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, bodyrow, burpee)
    Lisa C.: 25:13 (20-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Samir M.: 25:55 (20-lb. dbs; sub: squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    David C.: 26:07 (20-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, green, burpee)
    Travis O.: 27:10 (30-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, single-arm thruster, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Erez Y.: 28:19 (35-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Ricky B.: 31:14 (40-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Meghan M.: 32:03 (10-lb. weighted pull-up)
    Dave O.: dnf
    Rob K.: dnf
    Leota B.: 25:17 (15-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, bodyrow, burpee)
    Kris C.: 25:59 (20-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Sue R.: 25:59 (15-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, bodyrow, burpee)
    Josh O.: 26:54 (40-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Amy S.: 28:55 (20-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Adam C.: 30:32 (35-lb. dbs, 25-lbs.; sub: single-dumbbell carry)
    Guy F.: 31:40 (30-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Joe F.: 32:25 (40-lb. dbs, 25-lbs.; sub: single-dumbbell carry)
    Neil A.: 32:47 (30-lb. dbs, 25-lbs.)
    Roselena R.: 32:50 (30-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Jeff W.: 34:26 (35-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Sean F.: 18:40 (20-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Ralph A.: 21:15 (20-lb. dbs; sub: 200m single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Adam H.: 24:27 (25-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Thomas M.: 24:43 (30-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Jason H.: 25:10 (35-lbs., 25-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry)
    Stu W.: 25:10 (30-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Ravi S.: 26:08 (25-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Shana S.: 27:05 (20-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Mike D.: 28:06 (30-lb. dbs; sub: single-dumbbell carry, pull-up)
    Joe P.: 39:08 (15-lb. weighted pull-up)
    Christy P.: 28:48

6. coach | January 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Notes for today:
    -40-minute time limit
    -DNF Scores:
    Rob K.: 1/21x burpee + clean + thruster (45-lb. dbs, 45-lbs.)
    David O.: 5/21x burpee + clean + thruster (sub: pull-up)

7. tubameat | January 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm

steve d. dnf

• coach | January 23, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Steve, what happened?

Melody

8. Mrs. Finkenstadt | January 23, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Ivy F. 37:56 (sub. assisted strict pull ups)

9. StuLu | January 23, 2010 at 6:44 pm

StuLu: DNF….(35lb DB’s) (Unweighted Pull-ups) (Single DB carry on sand…estimated meters…)

10. ralswang | January 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Steve it was a great day at MPH because of you.
    It was an honor to part of your WOD.
    My motto through the WOD was ATTACK.
    We all needed you to be there!!!
    Thank you for coaches and great team of the 10am group