Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday, February 5, 2010

***Important Announcement***
Apparently, we are supposed to get a little snow this weekend. While we have never missed work due to the weather—here, or elsewhere—there is a first time for everything. Depending on the circumstances come morning, we may cancel Saturday’s classes if appropriate. Here is what you can expect from us, and what we ask of you in this circumstance:

1. Open or closed, we will post an announcement to the site by 7a Saturday. Please check the site before you leave your home.
  2. If you cannot make it to class Saturday morning, please cancel in MINDBODY as soon as possible. If the majority of registered athletes cancel, we will not hold classes.
  3. If you do not show up without canceling, or cancel after 7a Saturday morning, we will enact our cancellation policy as normal. Otherwise, we will forgive the policy.

thruster
3-3-3-3-3

Compare results to February 11, 2009.

then, as many rounds as possible in 12 minutes:
5x thruster @ 135/95-lbs.
10x burpee

workout courtesy of northeast qualifier

1. mchofia | February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I bet that if the Saturday WOD was to shovel 100 m for time the angry guy down the street would stop complaining about us using the sidewalk as a gym. We could really clear up our 800 meter “track”.

Also, Christy thanks for the recipe those Choco-Coco balls are great and super easy to make!

• tbferg | February 5, 2010 at 9:35 am

Is there really some guy who whines about us running outside? Does he complain about the people who walk their dogs out there? Or the garbage trucks? It’s a city, expect some noise. It’s not like we’re out there at 6am screaming at the top of our lungs. Well, except for Ralph.

2. coach | February 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Gang,

Just a few quick notes on the past five days:

–We welcomed back our old friend Matt from a few months’ travel on Wednesday—one of the founding athletes from our “Globo” days.
    –Tod returned healthy and triumphantly from being away since November.
    –Meg scaled up for the WOD today, after putting 135 overhead a few times.
    –Check out Jess’ and Jason’s scores for “Barbara” yesterday. Great work, you two.
    –StuLu hit a one, two and three-rep PR during Wednesday’s deadlifts.
    –Hassan began his quest for marathon greatness by adding a run to the end of every workout.
    –On Tuesday, Josh O. shoulder pressed the Mini Cooper that lives out front.
    –Christy finished Monday’s workout in seven seconds, after missing just two pushups the whole WOD. It was her second workout of the day, following Wednesday’s deadlifts.
    –We took some shots at organized religion.
    –And yesterday, MPH was added to NSA’s “Terror Watch” list.

It’s been a full week. I can’t wait until Monday.

• Kimmie | February 5, 2010 at 10:08 am

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have been super conscious of my posture this week. Every time I start to slouch I immediately hear one of my coaches telling me to watch my back.

My mother says thank you for that one. lol!

• Mrs. Finkenstadt | February 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I agree! During choir rehearsal last night, I used the same posture we use for all lifts. Exercising vocals or exercising in the gym, there is little that lifting your chest and fixing your posture won’t improve. Another little tip I have used is when you see a certain color (mine is pink), give your posture a check. It works (especially since I have a pink post it note taped to my computer).

• StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Ivy, I love the “posture through association” strategy! Awesome!

I am going to use this as well. Whenever I hear show tunes I will correct my posture.

• Erez | February 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Stulu,

Here’s one to get you started. “If you’ve got it, flaunt it” from the Producers. The singer is the beautiful Ula, who, though slightly tone-deaf, is a world-class expert on posture.

I’ll let you Google the video on your own this time, so as to comply with MPH Forum Guidelines for Mortals.

• mworden | February 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm

It’s great to be back!

Next week you’ll be seeing a lot of me trying to get back into shape for the Massacre.

• jwood30 | February 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Matt, it’s good to have you back and just in time for the Massacre!! JW

• StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm

It was a great week indeed John. Loved being in town for the whole shebang. Also, good to know that I am now going to be on the TSA no-fly list.

StuLu

3. coach | February 5, 2010 at 9:43 am

Tamra F.: 105-105-105-105-105-lbs., 5 rounds +… 5x burpee (75-lbs.)
    Samir M.: 115-125-125-115-115-lbs., 8 rounds (75-lbs.; sub: squat)
    Amy D.: 75-75-75-75-75-lbs., 6 rounds + 2x thruster (65-lbs.)
    Ralph A.: 145-145-145-145-145-lbs., 5 rounds (95-lbs.)
    Borja G.: 145-145-145-145-145x-lbs., 5 rounds +… 8x burpee (115-lbs.)
    Kristie K.: 50-50-50-50-50-lbs., 5 rounds (45-lbs.)
    Kim H.: 95-95x-95-95-95-lbs., dnf
    Erez Y.: 105-105-105-105-105-lbs., 6 rounds + 5x thruster (75-lbs.)
    Lynsey H.: 70-70-70x-70-70-lbs., 5 rounds (55-lbs.)
    Kris C.: 70-70-70-70-70-lbs., dnf
    Joe P.: 175-185-185x-175x-165-lbs., 5 rounds + 5x thruster
    Ilyse S.: 33-33-33-33-33-lbs., 5 rounds (25-lbs.)
    Livia S.: 33-33-33-33-33-lbs.
    Rob K.: 145-145-150-150-150-lbs., 2 rounds
    Ivy F.: 95-105-110x-110x-105-lbs., 6 rounds + 4x thruster (85-lbs.)
    Jessica H.: 85-90x-90x-85-85-lbs., 4 rounds + 5x thruster (75-lbs.)
    Meghan M.: 125-135x-135-130-130-lbs., 4 rounds + 2x thruster (115-lbs.)
    Jeremy N.: 165-165x-165-165-165-lbs., 4 rounds
    David O.: 155-160-160-165-165-lbs., 4 rounds + 4x thruster
    Sean M.: 155-175x-165-165-165-lbs., 4 rounds
    Jen M.: 95-95-100x-95-95-lbs., 4 rounds (75-lbs.)
    Leota B.: 55-55-55-55-55-lbs., 4 rounds + 4x thruster (45-lbs.)
    Alan N.: 115-125-125-125-125-lbs., 5 rounds + 3x thruster (95-lbs.)
    Jonathan H.: 115-125-125-125-125-lbs., 5 rounds (95-lbs.)
    Gary C.: 85-85-85-85-85-lbs., 6 rounds + 1x thruster (65-lbs.)
    Steve D.: 155-165-170x-170x-165x-lbs., 6 rounds
    StuLu: 125-135x-135-135x-125-lbs., 4 rounds (115-lbs.)
    Amy S.: 45-45-45-45-45-lbs., 5 rounds +… 4x burpee (33-lbs.)
    Jeff W.: 135x-125-125-125-125-lbs., 4 rounds +… 1x burpee (115-lbs.)
    Neil A.: 155-165x-160x-160-160x-lbs.
    Josh O.: 145-155-175-195x-175-lbs.
    Sue R.: 43-43-43-43-43-lbs., 5 rounds (33-lbs.)
    Sean F.: 85-85-85x-85-85-lbs., 5 rounds + 3x thruster (65-lbs.)
    Guy F.: 115-125-125-125-125-lbs., 4 rounds + 2x thruster (95-lbs.)
    Adam C.: 135-135-135-135-135-lbs., 5 rounds + 1x thruster (115-lbs.)
    Linda K.: 43-43-43x-33-33-lbs., 5 rounds +… 9x burpee (25-lbs.)
    Hassan D.: 135-135-135-135-135x-lbs., 4 rounds + 3x thruster (115-lbs.)
    Dave R.: 195-195-195x-195-195x-lbs., 5 rounds + 2x thruster (165-lbs.)
    Christy P.: 125-135x-135-135-135-lbs., 5 rounds +… 2x burpee (115-lbs.)

4. Jen M. | February 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

WOD #2: 62 minutes of grocery bag holds while waiting in line at the crazy-town that was the safeway this morning (they ran out of carts) — i have never been more tempted to just walk out, with the groceries, in my life

seriously people, is it really necessary to stock up on things like ketchup and salad dressing due to impending snow? i think not…

5. Rob | February 5, 2010 at 10:11 am

Between the deadlifts and today, I can barely bend over. That’s going to make shoveling out of Snowmaggedon very difficult. . . .

• Tank | February 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

Throw some salt on it and put up a sign. I hear thats all you need to reduce your liability

6. StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Hey All,

Yesterday I was thinking that “Barbara” was the closest WOD to hockey I have participated in. 2-4 minute hard shifts with a three minute rest. Of course, if we really wanted to give Barbara a true Hockey “feel” we would do it wearing 10 lbs of gear, on skates, and have Steve D and Coach John body-checking us against the wall whenever we take a few seconds rest.

Though I have been a passionate Hockey fan since youth as a result of my French-Canadian upbringing; it took Crossfit to give me an even further appreciation for the athleticism involved in the great game that I love: Further, it mimics Crossfit in the multiple areas of athleticism that are needed more so than any sport. Agility, stamina, strength, speed…all are featured in a grueling 60 minutes of blood and guts. I have never liked Football, too much ass-patting and huddling with only 10 minutes of “action.” Baseball might as well be played on a Wii, and Basketball apparently now requires firearms. Hockey is where it’s at. And we are blessed here in DC with one of the greatest teams in Hockey history. A moment not to be missed.

The Caps last night won their 12th straight game. The previous franchise record was 10. Tonight they go for their 13th straight. To put this into perspective: The Bruins had the original record for years set in the 1920’s at something like 13 games. The Islanders broke that with their great 80’s teams with 14. The current record is 17 games set by the hoodlum/crybaby Penguins in 93′, a team we play on Sunday in a snowy showdown to what I hope will be the eventual end of their record by our boys in Red; putting to rest the Pittsburgh demons that have cursed us, and silencing their spiteful fans who love to rub those years of heartbreaks in our face.

So, root for our boys tonight to grap #13 against the Thrashers. Let it lead us to Sunday at noon when you can watch from your snowed-in digs as the Caps unleash the fury in what will surely be a battle like you have never seen on ice.

Also, for further inspiration, if you want to see an athlete “emptying the tank” take a look at this video of Ovechkin last night scoring a goal with just his left hand on the stick, off-balance, at a tight angle, and with a Ranger on his heels. Further, he did it at the end of a three minute full-on shift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abXly_nJReg

Finally, because of the snow I have two tickets left for my box on Sunday. Let me know if anyone wants to be part of the mayhem. No Penguins fans are allowed. Period. Anyone else is welcome. Shout out and I will get them to you.

StuLu

• meghanmcnally | February 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm

go pens!

• StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

50 Burpee bet Meg? To be paid on Monday?

• swimdra | February 5, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I second that. Go CAPS!

• aschneidau | February 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Rock the RED!!! 13th in a row!!

7. tubameat | February 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Stu, thats the tops!

i would LOVE to go! Hockey is right up there with sumo as my favorite sport. and i too have that french canadian upbringing. went to a huge hockey HS, never played though, as i was busy blowing pep tuba in the stands.

thnx and lemme know, fb, call or text, 321-3578

steve d

(keep squattin’)

8. StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Steve, it would be an honor to have you on Sunday! I will call you later for details.

One more ticket available…..

9. StuLu | February 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Unless that is if Steve is bringing someone.

10. jeremynurse | February 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Stu, Wow, I would love to go as well!!! Give me a ring! if a spot is still available. 301-442-7482

Jeremy