Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Happy Birthday, Melody!

“Lem’s Revenge”
accumulating*, five rounds for time:
1. 5x deadlift @ 315/225-lbs.
2. 10x nose-to-floor handstand pushup
3. 15x box jump, 30″ platform
4. 20x chest-to-bar pull-up @ 45/25-lbs.
5. 25x bear complex @ 135/95-lbs.

The barbell bear complex consists, sequentially, of:

• power clean
  • front squat
  • push press
  • back squat
  • behind-the-neck push press
  • then, return the bar to the ground for the next power clean

The movements may be modified, broken-up or combined in any way, so long as these parameters are met:

1. The power clean starts at the ground and finishes at full hip extension. Squat cleans and/or a deadlift + hang power clean combination are acceptable.
  2. Squats must finish at, or below the parallel position and presses must finish locked-out overhead.
  3. Presses may be strict presses, push presses, or push jerks.
  4. Squats and presses can be distinct or combined into a thruster. However, you may not receive the clean in a (front) squat and move directly into a thruster—stand first.

*In the first round, complete exercise one; in the second round, complete exercises one and two; in the third round, complete exercises one through three; in the fourth round complete exercises one through four; and, in the fifth round, complete exercises one through five.

1. tubameat | March 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm

WHOA.

I’m really glad that this is my rest day. (Be sure that I would have left the box with a bloody nose) I am also really pissed that this is my rest day.

HBD, Mel, you rock.

Keep Squattin’

Steve D

2. CookingandLifting | March 10, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Egads! I’m with Steve on the rest day, but fuck! Good luck to all and a happy birthday to you, Mel!

3. StuLu | March 10, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Lem: Mel spelled backwards.

This is the most insane workout I have ever seen. God help the poor traveling soul who is visiting DC tomorrow and decides to drop-in for a WOD.

God help us all.

4. StuLu | March 10, 2010 at 11:54 pm

And, Happy Birthday Mel.

I was 25 once. It took me a year to get over it. Which is about how long it should take to recover from this workout.

5. coach | March 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

Bill M. 22:58 (135-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 20-lb. dbs.; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24”, jump-stretch pull-up, blue, db bear)
    Amy D. 21:57 (135-lbs., 20-lb. dbs, ; sub: shoulder press, step-up, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    Antonio G.: 30:03 (225-lbs., 40-lb. dbs, 95-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Alex M.: 24:58 (185-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Glenn C.: 27:40 (225-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Ralph A.: 27:25 (185-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, squat, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Derek B.: 25:37 (185-lbs., 24″, 30-lb. dbs, 445-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Erin K.: 26:07 (135-lbs., 24″, 25-lb. dbs, 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Erez Y.: (225-lbs., 75-lbs.; sub: ctb pull-up) 36:02
    Borja G.: 27:51 (275-lbs., 40-lb. dbs; 95-lbs; sub: shoulder press, bodyrow)
    Kristie K.: 8:05 (95-lbs., 15-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 18”, 1x bodyrow, no bear complex)
    Josh M. 27:10 (225-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up)
    Charles H.: 47: 27 (225-lbs., 95-lbs.)
    Jeremy N.: 45: 51 (225-lbs., 115-lbs.; sub: pull-up)
    Katie M. 24:19 (95-lbs., 15-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24”, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Scott D.: 31:50 (185-lbs., 35-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, pull-up, db bear)
    Guy F.: 30:49 (185-lbs., 35-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    Rob K.: 38:26 (40-lb. dbs, 95-lbs.)
    Sean M.: 33:51 (225-lbs., 24″, 40-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder, press, pull-up, db bear)
    Jen M.: 31:33 (135-lbs., 25-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24”, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    David O.: 30:58 (275-lbs., 40-lb. dbs, 95-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up)
    Jessica H.: 39:07 (135-lbs., 65-lbs. ; sub: prom hspu, 45 + 25-lbs. plate, ctb pull-up)
    Sid C.: 31:01 (185-lbs., 24″, 25-lbs., 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Jeff W.: 37:16 (225-lbs., 24″, 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up)
    Roselena R.: 34:57 (165-lbs., 24″, 30-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, pull-up, db bear)
    Kevin C.: 39:28 (165-lbs., 24″, 30-lb. dbs, 45-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Christine S.: 24:21 (95-lbs., 20-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24”, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    Jessy C.: 28:50 (95-lbs., 24″, 20-lb. dbs, 45-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Susanna B.: 25:19 (135-lbs., 25-lb. dbs, 45-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, squat, 1x bodyrow)
    Linda K.: 26:33 (75-lbs., 15-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Livia S.: 27:33 (75-lbs., 15-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, green)
    Dave R.: 53:28
    Christy P.: 37:02
    Alan N.: 27:21 (225-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Tod C.: 22:25 (135-lbs, 25-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Robbie S.: 26:05 (185-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Kyle F.: 28:51 (185-lbs., 24″, 30-lb. dbs, 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, red)
    Sakar P.: 22:50 (135-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 45-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Adam H.: 29:05 (165-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Caitlin F.: 28:51 (165-lbs., 24″, 25-lb. dbs. 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, blue)
    Mike S.: 37:00 (135-lbs.; sub: step-up, 24″, inchworm + 2x clapping pushup)
    Thomas M.: 30:53 (165-lbs., 30-lb. dbs., 65-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    StuLu: 29:55 (225-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 25-dbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up, db bear)
    Shana S.: 24:52 (115-lbs., 20-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Adam C.: dnf (185-lbs., 40-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up, db bear)
    Tyler P.: 30:56 (135-lbs., 24″, 25-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Paul M.: 25:46 (135-lbs., 24″, 25-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    Sean F.: 28:31 (165-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Amy S.: 27:57 (115-lbs., 20-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, blue, db bear)
    Joanna L.: 25:23 (115-lbs., 20-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, pull-up, db bear)
    Jason H.: 36:50 (165-lbs., 35-lbs., 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press)
    Neil A.: 29:44 (275-lbs., 40-lb. dbs, 95-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up)
    Daniel B.: 37:44 (185-lbs., 35-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, red, db bear)
    Wayne C.: 30:40 (225-lbs., 35-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Ravi S.: 37:37 (165-lbs., 30-lb. dbs, 75-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, pull-up)
    Teal B.: 39:08 (185-lbs., 20-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, step-up, 24″, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Meghan M.: 29:00 (30-lbs.; sub: shoulder press, ctb pull-up)
    David S.: 26:45 (165-lbs., 24″, 30-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)
    Leota B.: 32:14 (115-lbs., 20-lb. dbs; sub: shoulder press, squat, jump-stretch pull-up, green, db bear)

• daviesag | March 11, 2010 at 9:07 am

Many thanks to the coaches for working around my knee and shoulder problems. It is discouraging when we have a max effort and I cannot really participate. Today Melody and John found a way for me to get a great workout without involving the affected areas too much. I greatly appreciate the effort that allows me to participate in the WOD despite injuries. This is what sets MPH apart.

Melody, I hope you have a great birthday. It is amazing how much you have accomplished in a mere 25 years.

Amy

• Erez | March 11, 2010 at 10:13 am

Coaches, I subbed with CTB pullup. 6am and 7am, thanks for the push.

• coach | March 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Dave R.,

Monster effort today.

• iwearsocksandshoes | March 11, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for helping me push to the end. That was truly brutal.

I’m never telling you my birthday.

Dave R

6. voidwhichbinds | March 11, 2010 at 8:02 am

Happiest of happy happy days Mel! You are an amazing woman! This can be your last birftday evah – just celebrate the anniversary of 25 – ’cause I’m on the 7th anniversary of my 35th!

7. TinkWants2GetStronger | March 11, 2010 at 8:21 am

happy birthday MEL!! As my Dad would say..you’re a quater of a century old…that does sound kinda old dunnit! 😀

8. coach | March 11, 2010 at 8:35 am

Gang,

Many of you may not be familiar with Mel’s alter-ego, “Lem”—B-kay and I sure are. I always found it hard to explain, until I saw this commercial the other day. Happy Birthday, Mel and Lem!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLrsCnBvQFo&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

• b-kay | March 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

…haha…That is spot on…Lem is indeed a lot like a hungry Aretha Franklin… 🙂 …Happy Birthday Mel…and Lem!

9. Mrs. Finkenstadt | March 11, 2010 at 8:35 am

Have a wonderful Birthday Melody! Treat yourself to something nice today.

10. ashacooper | March 11, 2010 at 8:41 am

Happy Birthday, Mel!

11. the janitor | March 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

yikes! i will probably spend most of today mentally preparing for this one…

happy birthday mel!

• coach | March 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Yes, Meg!

If you don’t know why we call Meg “The Janitor” (just one of about seven nicknames), it’s because she always comes in at the end of the day and cleans up—in the dominating performance, kind of way.

12. themunchkin25 | March 11, 2010 at 9:54 am

Happy birthday Melody!

And a big thank you to Ralph for the t-shirt.

13. tbferg | March 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

Happy birthday, Melody! 25 was one of my best years- enjoy it!

14. Ted | March 11, 2010 at 10:35 am

Happy Birthday to both you, Mel, and your altar-ego Lem (who I’ve never met) So is that StuLu’s alter ego Liza in the right-front passenger seat? (I may have met her). And does anyone who is 25 years old know who Liza and Aretha are?). Best wishes for a great day – and thanks for scaling the extenders for me.

15. coach | March 11, 2010 at 11:33 am

Team,

The VOA video article came out today: http://www.voanews.com/MediaAssets2/english/2010_03/CavemanDietWebVersion-fixed-x264-KA.mp4.

Have a look.

• Rob | March 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I like the extended shot of the Crossfit MPH logo. Great publicity. And great cameos by Jen, Sid, Joe and everyone else!

It’s kind of funny in an unintentional way. I will say that it could have been much, much worse. So for that I am grateful.

• Rob | March 11, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I also really enjoyed the representative shots of the cavemen. I can totally see the resemblance to me. 🙂

• Mrs. Finkenstadt | March 11, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I loved the cavemen, too! Especially the guy with the sticks on his back like he was going to squat.

• train2live | March 11, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Very cool. Nice job!

Dave O.

16. jwood30 | March 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Cool video Rob! Happy Birthday Melody! JW

17. christyphillips | March 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm

10 Things I Love About Mel:
    10) She embodies the phrase, “Anything worth doing, is worth doing right”
    9) She is girly in the most surprising ways
    8 ) With one withering glance, she can make you realize that you are completely out of your mind and she is completely right about this
    7) She gives good advice. Simple, logical, matter of fact.
    6) She introduced me to CrossFit! (have to love her for that)
    5) Her love for bubblegum pop music
    4) Her strength
    3) Her laugh
    2) Her passion for what she does
    1) Her capacity to care so deeply for everyone she surrounds herself with
    And finally, I love how there’s always something new to learn about Mel, or should I say: LEM (ok, so that makes it 11…we’ll say one for good luck).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!! This is YOUR month! Wake up and tell yourself that every day. I can’t wait to see you unleash the beast pacing and clawing to get out from behind your professional, well-mannered exterior 🙂

Love,
    Christy

• train2live | March 11, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Christy,

Well said! Mel, I wish you a Happy Birthday and many more!!

BTW: Christy, I hear that you too were punished yesterday for attempting to remove your weight lifting shoes prior to conducing the pull up segment of the WOD. All I have to say is, we are so misunderstood, aren’t we?

Also, cudos to you and Dave R for performing today’s WOD as RX’d!

Dave O.

• coach | March 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

You really can’t let this die, can you Dave? You just keep breathing life back into it. Cool. I’ll see you in the morning.

• train2live | March 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I guess I am just a gluten for punishment this week…not sure why.

See you in the AM.

Dave O.

18. swimdra | March 11, 2010 at 4:32 pm

This gym is making me come to hate birthdays since they bring so much pain. However, after doing this one I am walking around my office feeling pretty kick ass. I didn’t think I could do 20 pull ups unassisted and this morning proved that wrong (even if I only did it without the band for half of it, you have to start somewhere). Also, one of my coworkers missed two days of work because he threw out his back picking up a pencil. Really. Picking up a pencil. It’s nice to know that that will never, ever happen to me.

Happy birthday Mel. Thank you for all that you do for your athletes. I hope after today is over you can actually enjoy your birthday.