Run: Monday, May 24 – Sunday, July 4, 2010

Run: Monday, May 24 – Sunday, July 4, 2010

Training for the October 31, 35th running of the Marine Corps Marathon begins today! 30 MPH Running athletes have committed to this event and successfully completed their Running Clinics.

Progress toward and victory in fulfilling your marathon goal, be that completion of the event or a new personal best, begins by practicing proper running technique. The six-week skill outline for running development can be found here, and must be completed in advance of commencing any endurance training. No other running or endurance work is to be attempted at this time.

Beginning July 5, we will post three endurance workouts, once each week. Until then, please log the results of your running practice to the comments section of this post.

Video demonstrations of the drills listed in the six-week outline will be posted soon. Until then, please see Rebekka, Jessica or myself for demonstration and clarification. Finally, a metronome is recommended for accuracy during the running portion of each week’s work. We have six Seiko DM50L metronomes for your use when at MPH. Especially if you anticipate completing the majority of your practice sessions elsewhere, we recommend acquiring one from any number of vendors.

Remember, proper running technique and purposeful recovery are the two keys to success throughout training for this event. If you cannot commit the resources necessary to first complete four to six CrossFit workouts each week, and then the prescribed running practice and future endurance training sessions, please see us immediately.

–John

1. Andrew | May 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hey MPH,
    Had a great time at the running clinic yesterday. Best of luck with the training. I’m sure the marathon will be easy in comparison. Thanks for helping me with my goat and if there’s anything District CrossFit can do count us in.

2. Jen M. | May 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Super excited to start the training!

Also, they have the metronomes John mentioned on amazon for around $25 including shipping.

3. TinkWants2GetStronger | May 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Jen beat me to it…well beat me to the mention of the metronomes – I was gong to ask what the brand one – casio -…I’m going to get one!

Congrats on getting the clinics done John. That was definitly productive and informative.

And I love (ok that’s kinda like mushy) this MPHE Blog…black is cool cool! Seems so much more intense than than the fluffy regular MPH site 😀

4. TinkWants2GetStronger | June 2, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Hi Folks, hope everyone’s clinic-wods are going well. I just wanted to add a note to this MPHE blog 😀 I bought my metronome! and I love my Innov8 shoes!..yup..they make a difference!

5. Rob | June 12, 2010 at 2:13 am

About to run the Lawyers Have Heart 10K. I know it’s not exactly on the plan. I’ll try and pose for the first part and then run flat-footed with short strides after that.

6. girlpose1 | June 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Great running clinic on Sunday. My hams are still sore but I started the six week drill/running training today. Day 1: Felt uncoordinated today, but pushed through. The running portion was much more challenging than I expected. I was tense and trying to hold onto the technique a bit too much. But by the last three minute run, I let go and trusted that my body would “Pose” the best it could. I also know now what to listen for in my feet and “pull, pull” now resonates in my head. Plus, holding those baby squirells properly really helps keep my arms where they should be. The forward lean is a big struggle for me. But practice, practice, practice and more practice… (Susan)

7. girlpose1 | June 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Day 2, or should I say what should have been Day 2 of Pose drills and running. A neck spasm (which I get time to time) has pushed me to actually taking today “off.” I should have rested after the clinic on Sunday, but I worked out (lifted) the next day and started drills/running the following day. Sometimes it’s good to let your body rest. Today my workout will be flying solo with my 16 month old daughter to Florida then driving an hour and a half to my folks house. Let’s hope my neck will bounce back so I can do some training on the beach.

8. jwood30 | June 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I completed my first day of marathon training. I look forward to more.