Tuesday, June 22, 2010

1. b-kay | June 22, 2010 at 9:21 am

Bill M.: 26 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Terry H.: 35 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Alex M.: 46
    Paul M.: 55 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Jessy C.: 18 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Robbie S.: 39
    Tamra F.: 29 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Erez Y.: 52
    Ryan B.: 23 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Teal B.: 5 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Derek B.: 52 (20-lb. dbs; sub: thruster)
    Kris C.: 24
    Keena S.: 37 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Ted K.: 28
    Stuart W.: 11 (sub: 800m row, single-leg burpee)
    Ravi S.: 32
    Josh O.: 14
    Katie M.: 32 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Charles H.: 44
    Mike S.: 69
    Ivy F.: 23 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Michael S.: 15 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Neil A.: 41
    Sean M.: 11 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Jen M.: 21 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Jessica H.: 50
    David O.: 26
    Johnny A.: 18 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Drew P.: 17 (sub: sit-up)
    Ralph B.: 22 (sub: sit-up)
    Roselena R.: 19 (sub: v-up)
    Jim M.: 10 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Bill S.: 16 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Bill G.: 32
    Jeff W.: 22
    Christy P.: 94
    Josh Mc: 54
    Luke D.: 37
    Christine S.: 34 (25-lbs.; sub: swing)
    Dave R.: 50
    Marco M.: 20
    Adam C.: 47
    Chuck D.: 10 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Andrew R.: 37
    Joe F.: 45
    Jeremy N.: 49
    Joseph P.: 5 (sub: sit-up)
    Lee P.: 22 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Gary C.: 25 (sub: sit-up)
    David S.: 20 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Sean F.: 20 (sub: 800m row)
    Tyler P.: 18 (sub: 800m row, hanging knee raise)
    Amy D.: 18 (sub: 800m row)
    Leota B.: 26 (sub: 400m run, sit-up)
    Brent W.: 15 (sub: sit-up)
    April H.: 14 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Chad F.: 27
    Michael H.: 12 (sub: sit-up)
    Jen O.: 16 (sub: sit-up)
    John B.: 42 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Ricky B.: 41 (sub: hanging knee raise)
    Susanna B.: 15 (sub: 400m run, sit-up)
    Wayne C.: 46 (sub: squat, pushup)
    Antonio G.: 25
    Meghan M.: 37
    Jonathan H.: 31

2. ChudFace | June 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

No offense to Ivy, who looks dashing in this photo, but this WOD is quite possibly the most unattractive WOD I’ve ever seen.

I can’t wait.

• tbferg | June 22, 2010 at 9:58 am

It’s every bit as unattractive mid-WOD. But it feels pretty damn good when it’s over.

And Ivy does look dashing.

• coach | June 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

This workout is perfect, Chud: nine minutes of non-stop, breaking, wrecking, completely-exhausting-but-completely-worth-it insanity.

Now, pick up your chainsaw and massacre it.

3. train2live | June 22, 2010 at 10:42 am

After over two years of working with John, Mel and for some of that time BK, I had an epiphany. This has been building for a few weeks now, but it just hit me today as I watched Ravi perform 32 perfect burpees following an 800 meter sprint and 30 knees to elbows. The only body parts that touched the ground were his hands chest and toes for all 32. It caused me to reflect on my burpee performance, which was absolutely pathetic by comparison. The next thought that came to mind was that I cheated myself today. This, I believe, is what John was trying to tell me a couple of weeks ago when I failed to get my neck over the bar during weighted pull-ups. In fact, anytime the coaches tell us to correct our form they are catching us cheating ourselves out of greatness. I’ve always known that they want us to be better and achieve the greatness we are all capable of achieving, but I now realize that I won’t get there if I cheat myself out of the chance. During the warm up today we performed 15 pull ups. All I could think about was getting 15 perfect pull ups…that motivation came from my poor pull up performance a few weeks ago. I know that I will never be able to run a five minute mile, clean and jerk 185 five times, dead lift 400lbs, have a sub 5:00 Fran time or even do weighted pull ups with Kris on my back if I cheat myself out of the opportunity.

So, today I am recommitting myself to achieve greatness. I am vowing to complete all movements flawlessly. Even if in the beginning it means sacrificing time or reps. My father always used to say anything worth doing is worth doing right. Those words ring truer today than ever before in my life.

Thank you, John, Mel and BK for holding us to a standard that sets the MPH athlete apart from any other Crossfit athlete.

So, who is with me?

Dave O.

• StuLu | June 22, 2010 at 11:13 am

I am always with you DaveO…

• mikeheartspullups | June 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm

With you. Go Mavericks! You betcha!

• snekulekul | June 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I’ve been having similar sentiments since coming to MPH. I encounter the same sort of thing when I’m dead tired, on my 28th knees to elbows, and the temptation to just say “screw it” and move on to burpees is right there. I figure I’m the person who cares most about my time or how many burpees I get done, and ultimately, why would I compromise myself? I think stopping at 28/30 is about the same as counting a pullup where your chin scrapes the bar or a burpee you fall into, then get an inch off the ground for. The environment at MPH has helped me be way more honest with myself about the lifts I do and the reps I count. It is a true athletic atmosphere, but I think only if I (we) the athletes commit to it with intensity.

On another note, CrossFit keeps reminding me that being skinny does not mean having a good core.

• TinkWants2GetStronger | June 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

An inspiration always…I’m with ya!

• coach | June 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Great post, Dave—ideas you can also apply to your nemesis, the 2k row.

We learn from each other, and we learn by teaching each other. For example, Robbie, Sean M., Jess, Steve, Rob and Ivy consistently give clear, useful coaching points and cues to other athletes in the room—different from another highly useful product of the group environment, motivation. They take instruction from us and from previous personal experiences, and use it to not only make themselves better, but also to help athletes that they work alongside with each day. Having any one of those six in the room instantly makes our job easier and your experience better.

Learn by doing. Learn by observing. Learn by teaching.

• joshm08 | June 22, 2010 at 5:13 pm

awesome Dave.

• joepap | June 22, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I read the workout before I went to bed last night and had a bad taste in my mouth right away. Fat guys worst enemies- running and burpees! (well At least this fat guys enemy). So when I woke up to my alarm at 720 I said fuck it… And snooze Instead o comin to 8. I’d normally have been at work all day so I felt like it was ok to miss anyway. I went to my promotional exam and go home at 3. I looked at the blog and read a bunch of posts and thank to these motivation posts I figured I could squeeze the 5pmer in before going in for the night shift. While I may hAve th fewest burpees of the gym, I’m thrilled to have gotten my ass to the gym.
        If it wasn’t for the notes above I would have slacked at the opp to improve, thanks for helping get me in here today!

• sonowhat | June 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Ok. I feel like an ass for not seeing this post earlier.

Thanks for the compliment, Dave. However, my nose will attest that there were certainly burpees in there that fell short of the perfect standard.

I’ll tell ya what did feel good though: reviewing the score and not seeing a (sub: ) next to my name. Small steps 🙂

Ravi

4. Mrs. F | June 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

Yeah!

5. coach | June 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Team,

How’s a bit of non sequitur and a show of solidarity? The following exchange occurred during my workout this afternoon, before the third of four 500 meter rowing intervals:

Me: “I’m a weak piece of shit.”
    BK: “Yeah, but not for long.”

See, Hugus, it’s not just you.

• Tank | June 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm

We all have our days…

On a side note: I’m starting to think Robb Wolf’s fish oil calculator might be broken. 63 pills a day seems impossible. I don’t think I can handle more than 30 before I will start developing scales…

Sean

• Erez | June 22, 2010 at 6:44 pm

One can of sardines is equivalent to somewhere between four and six Costco pills. To meet Robb’s requirements, you would need to eat a minimum of ten tins of sardines a day. This comes to 200gr of protein–and some olive oil to boot–and could thus quite easily serve as your exclusive source of protein and fat (forget beef–just add veggies). At less than $2 a tin, retail, this would be a pretty cheap diet.

Sources: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3071550 and http://www.bumblebee.com/Products/Individual/?Product_ID=47

• coach | June 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I was referring to BK’s penchant for bluntness, but yes, that too.

Mel is the fish oil expert, so I’ll defer to her here.