Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011

Meggers at the toes-to-bar.

Today, the MPH community sends Meghan M. West to Illinois—we workout in her honor.

Meg walked into MPH during the second week of September, 2009. She was quiet and polite, which we appreciated knowing she came from Hyperfit in Michigan—at the time, one of the biggest boxes in the country. Even though she told us she held some kind of “Miss Michigan” title (Olympic weightlifting, not bikinis and heels…we think), we had to pry the rest of her athletic experience from her. We knew we had a winner after this exchange:

Melody: “So, what do you like about CrossFit?”
Meg: “Um, I really like kettlebells. And I really like the Olympic lifts. I used to take an Olympic lifting class at Hyperfit.”
Melody: “That’s great! What’s your best clean and jerk? Snatch?”
Meg: “165 and 127, I think.”

We barely have had a handful of men who can could put 165 pounds overhead! And, as we were to soon discover, if you gave Goldie Locks her a nice, heavy bar, made her think it was all her idea, allowed her ample rest and didn’t make too much eye contact, especially with a squat involved, she could and would crush you. After all, that was how she backed-up her other nickname—Black Widow. That, and she almost cut Ricky B.’s heart out over a pair of clips one time. “Just teasing!”

Two years and too many memories to recount them all, but do you remember this moment? We’ve shared it all: the joy and pain of competition, the challenge of the daily workout and even the occasional road trip.

The longer this treatise goes, the sadder we get. Meg is and has been such an important part of MPH over the years, especially for us, the coaches—that’s the only way to say goodbye. Safe travels, and good luck in Chicago, Meg.

–Melody, Rebekka and John

Mega
seven rounds for time:
5x squat clean and jerk @ body weight
3x muscle-up

1. train2live | August 15, 2011 at 5:41 am

Meg,

It has been an honor and an absolute pleasure sharing the MPH experience with you whether it be a daily WOD or a Crossfit competition. You are an amazing athlete! I am going to miss not only working out with you or watching you perform, but also your friendly humble nature.

Best of luck to you. Chicago is one of my favorite cities so I will definitely look you up if ever I am in town. All the best!!

Dave (702) O.

2. The Diesel | August 15, 2011 at 8:32 am

Good luck to you, Meg! It was a tremendous pleasure to get to know you and see your continued dedication and strength. Keep kickin tail and I truly hope Chicago is all that you want it to be!

Joe P

3. bghent | August 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

When I came to Crossfit about a year and a half ago, I’ll admit that I was skeptical, not only about this whole Olympic weightlifting thing, but about the whole “community gym” thing. I liked doing my own thing, on my own time, and without a lot of talking in the morning. But I wanted and was ready for something new, and I soon learned that my skepticism was unwarranted on many levels. I liked to lift, push and pull heavy shit, and I now acknowledge that conversing in the morning is a lot easier for us late-risers when we’re surrounded by friends and people we care about.

Very prominent in that crowd of MPH friends, for me, is Meg. Like many close friendships you form in life, I can’t tell you when exactly Meg and I became besties. I do remember reading about her on the blog, seeing her picture from the competitions, and then realizing, when I saw her work out, that she was, and I say this with pride, a total beast. When I first got to work out with her during a heavy lifting day, I thought I had hit the big time (and bragged about it to another MPH friend).

Since then, our friendship has grown considerably. I’m going to try not to get too mushy but I want to point out the one thing that I love most about her: her fierce sense of honesty and pride in what she does and who she is. We see this every day in the gym. And for those of us who know her as a friend, we see this in so many other ways as well. We should all strive to be as good as she is.

MPH won’t be the same without her, but I know she and Ben are going to thrive in Chicago. We’ll miss you, Meg, and we’ll be seeing you.

Bill G.

4. LB | August 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

Meg,

MPH just won’t be the same without you. Every day you led by example, not only by dominating each and every work out, but also by encouraging all those around you to do the same. I’ve admired your strength and ability since my very first day at MPH, but even more so I’ve admired your heart and generosity. I can’t even count the number of times your advice and encouragement helped me through a workout I thought I would never be able to finish. It’s been wonderful getting to know you over the last couple years. Bates and I will definitely be looking you up the next time we’re in Chicago.

And just because you’re leaving and I feel like I should do something nice – I’ll give you this:

Sidney Crosby’s not that bad.

Wishing you all the best in Chicago,

LB

5. b-kay | August 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

Borja G.: 20:23 (115-lbs.; sub; 3x ctb pull-up)
    Derek B.: 19:11 (115-lbs.; sub: 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Michael F.: 21:00 (115-lbs.; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    Alex M.: 16:22 (95-lbs.; sub: push press; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    Alex H.: 19:58 (95-lbs..; sub: push press, 3x ctb pull-up)
    Tamra F.: 18:53 (95-lbs.; sub: 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue; 4 rounds)
    James C.: 19:56 (95-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x pull-up; no pull-up last round)
    Steve M.: 14:57 (85-lbs.; sub: 3x pull-up)
    Kris C.: 21:02 (65-lbs.; sub: push press, 3x jump-stretch strict monster pull-up, orange; 5 rounds)
    Jon H.: 16:46 (35-lb. dbs; sub: push press, 3x pull-up)
    Ted K.: 16:32 (35-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x ctb pull-up)
    Aaron B.: 14:10 (30-lb. dbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x strict bodyrow)
    Rob K.: 24:31 (145-lbs.)
    David O.: 21:09 (145-lbs.; sub: 1x muscle-up/round)
    Claire H.: dnf
    Sidra C.: 24:03 (105-lbs.; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    Glenn C.: 20:00 (105-lbs.; sub: power clean, 3x pull-up; 5 rounds)
    Jeff W.: 21:06 (105-lbs.; sub; 2x ctb pull-up)
    Phil S.: 20:49 (85-lbs.; sub: 2x muscle-up/round)
    Peter H.: 20:45 (85-lbs.; sub: push press, 2x pull-up)
    Kirsten P.: 24:21 (75-lbs.; sub; 3x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Kaisa A.: dnf
    Ryan S.: 24:02 (45-lb. dbs; sub: push press, 3x pull-up)
    Matt H.: dnf
    Keith W.: 21:59 (35-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 3x pull-up)
    Terry M.: dnf
    Set S.: 9:32 (25-lb. db.; sub: single-arm clean + push press, 3x sit-up)
    Mike S.: 18:51
    Meghan M.: 22:48 (135-lbs.; sub: power clean, 3x ctb pull-up)
    Bill G.: 22:03 (135-lbs.; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    Brian T.: 23:58 (125-lbs.)
    Drew P.: 24:39 (125-lbs.; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    Johnny A.: 21:57 (95-lbs.; sub; power clean, 3x jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Ralph B.: 22:15 (95-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x pull-up)
    Caitlin S.: 16:57 (95-lbs.; sub: power clean, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Bill S.: 17:07 (30-lb. dbs; sub: 3x pull-up)
    Ashley T.: 22:48 (75-lbs.; sub: 3x jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Kate R.: dnf
    Teal B.: dnf
    Matthew W.: 23:06 (40-lb. dbs; sub: push press, 2x pull-up)
    Fred D.: 15:25 (30-lb. dbs.; sub: push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Josh O.: 12:34 (55-lbs.; sub: single-arm clean + jerk, 6x sit-up)
    Mead O.: 12:02 (25-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 3x bodyrow)
    Mark C.: 12:01 (sub: 3x sit-up, 3x strict bodyrow)
    Dave R.: 22:27 (sub: 2x ring dip)
    Christy P.: 19:36
    Josh M.: 19:31 (135-lbs.)
    Andrew R.: 24:35 (125-lbs.; sub: 2x muscle-up/round)
    Brian D.: 23:54 (125-lbs.)
    Erez Y.: 17:39 (105-lbs.)
    Benjamin T.: dnf
    Thomas M.: 19:11 (85-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x ctb pull-up)
    Jen M.: dnf
    Thomas B.: 19:11 (65-lbs.; sub: push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Julie G.: 21:16 (65-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Ivy F.: 17:48 (40-lb. db.; sub: single-arm clean + jerk, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Anna H.: 15:25 (25-lb. dbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Ty C.: 13:15 (20-lb. dbs; sub: power clean, 2x strict bodyrow; 5 rounds)
    Rocio Q.: 18:05 (15-lb. dbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x strict bodyrow)
    Neil A.: 15:41 (135-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 1x muscle-up/round)
    Wayne C.: 20:49 (105-lbs.; sub: 2x ring pull-up)
    Sean F.: 17:06 (95-lbs.; sub: push press, 3x ctb pull-up)
    Ben T.: 18:19 (95-lbs.; sub: 3x ctb pull-up)
    John M.: 19:05 (75-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x strict bodyrow)
    Brad R.: 21:14 (75-lbs.; sub: push press, 2x pull-up)
    Pete S.: 17:11 (65-lbs.; sub: 2x pull-up)
    Anne M.: 21:37 (65-lbs.; sub: 3x strict bodyrow)
    James H.: 15:13 (65-lbs.; sub: push press, 2x pull-up)
    Lee P.: 19:43 (35-lb. dbs; sub: 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Jenn J.: 12:10 (25-lb. db.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x strict bodyrow)
    Kathleen K.: 11:45 (20-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x strict bodyrow; 5 rounds)
    Diane N.: 19:08 (20-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Alexis T.: 16:10 (20-lb. db.; sub: single-arm clean + push press, 6x sit-up)
    John B.: 14:56 (115-lbs.; sub: 1x muscle-up/round)
    Ricky B.: 18:45 (105-lbs.; sub: power clean, 2x ctb pull-up)
    Chris C.: 14:14 (95-lbs.; sub: 2x pull-up)
    Jerry C.: 15:56 (85-lbs.; sub: 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Jeff B.: 16:47 (85-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x pull-up)
    Leota B.: 24:38 (75-lbs.; sub: 2x pull-up)
    Alissa G.: dnf
    Jason C.: 20:23 (75-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x ctb pull-up)
    Danny M.: 18:29 (75-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x strict bodyrow)
    Scott T.: 18:29 (35-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, red)
    Mark Co.: 15:03 (30-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Brad K.: 12:03 (30-lb. dbs; sub: push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue)
    Arvin G.: 12:48 (25-lb. dbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 2x jump-stretch strict pull-up, green)
    Charlotte A.: 12:23 (15-lb. dbs; sub: power clean + push press, 2x strict bodyrow)

• b-kay | August 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

Kate R.: 25-lb. dbs; sub: push press, 3x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue
      Teal B.: 95-lbs.; sub: 3x jump-stretch strict pull-up, blue
      Benjamin T.: 85-lbs.; sub: power clean + push press, 3x pull-up
      Jen M.: 80-lbs.,; sub: 3x ctb pull-up
      Alissa G.: 75-lbs.; sub: 2x monster strict pull-up, orange

• iwearsocksandshoes | August 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm

for future Meg-a workouts, my bar was 180 – despite John telling me “you’re looking small.”

dave r

• mike | August 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

big or small…. sooooooo glad I wasn’t you today! (probably the only day that’s true)

6. sidc | August 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

Meg, it has been a true pleasure getting to know you these past few years. Your intensity and skill paired with your humble and nice attitude are a rare combination, and it is one that will be greatly missed. It was always fun working out with you and watching you not only dominate most of the workouts, but also having you turn around and cheer on everyone else once you had finished. Best of luck in Chicago! Keep in touch.

Sid

7. Mrs. F | August 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

Meghan, what can I say other than we will miss you so much! I have enjoyed workout beside you, admiring your grit and determination, and seeing your smile of satisfaction when you finish (and win) a WOD! Whatever gym you make your next home base will be so lucky to have you, but I believe you’ll always be an MPH athlete. You can’t really leave us behind.

8. Mr. Seles | August 15, 2011 at 10:29 am

How do you get a sense of satisfaction and a sense of dread at the same time? Try getting paired with Meg, sharing a heavy bar on a met-con WOD. I got to bask in my feeling of accomplishment for about all of 10 seconds as I quickly realized she was going to run me over if I didn’t pick up my pace. It got so bad, I had to cheat on my rest periods by going much earlier. Got run over anyway.

So I realize this is a story that probably happened to a whole lot of us – but I’m ok with it. She lapped me twice over on that WOD anyway – but I’m ok with it. Greater men than I have tried and failed to keep up with you – but I think we’re ok with it. I may not have known you that well, Meg, but you were always one of the people I have always tried to be as good as, to know I was getting somewhere with all of this. But no matter where you are, just continue to give us something to shoot for, and someone to aspire to – I think we’re ok with that.

9. No Doubt | August 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Meg,

Best of luck to you and Ben in Chi-town. The Midwest just got a lot better. See you soon,

E

10. johndouglasbates | August 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

Meg,

I will miss you greatly. Having you in class was a tremendous benefit. You exemplified ideal technique and attitude (and ability!!), you had pointers at the ready precisely when I needed them, and, damn, lifting with you was simply a blast.

I wish you and Ben a happy new adventure in Chicago. Leota and I will be looking forward to the next time we see you.

— John B

11. alissa g. | August 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

Meg,

I remember coming into MPH for my first workout after finishing elements class at the end of November. It happened to be the workout where you earned your t-shirt after completing 101 front squats at the men’s weight. I remember thinking to myself: “What did I just get myself into?” which was quickly followed by “I want to be like HER!”

You have always been a source of encouragement and inspiration to everyone who is lucky enough to be at the same class as you. You will definitely be missed at MPH. Best of luck in Chicago!

Lefty

12. Teal | August 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Meghan, you are a mentor and an inspiration. It is a joy to workout next to you and an honor to be on your team.

Love,
    TB

13. alex m | August 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Meg,

While today is a sad day for MPH, I couldn’t imagine a better start to the day than a workout in celebration of you. It’s been wonderful getting to know you and I truly feel honored to call you a friend. All the best to you and Ben!

See you soon in Chicago!

Alex M.

14. Rob | August 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Meg,

It’s really hard to see you go. Out of many, perhaps my favorite memory is seeing you crush the workouts at the sectionals in Fairfax a year ago. No matter what was thrown at you, you dominated. It was both humbling and inspiring. You will be really missed.

As far as your farewell workout, please don’t ever leave again!

Best,
    Rob

15. mike | August 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Meg,

I have a deeper appreciation for foam rolling the quadriceps thanks to you. Like no one else at MPH, you make pain…fun!

I’ll miss you!