Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday, October 10, 2011

Our new MPH t-shirt has arrived! Click here to find out how to get one.

Congratulations Jon H., for completing Sunday’s Bank of America Chicago Marathon! Jon finished his first marathon in 3:51, having trained with the Running Team this year at distances no longer than 10 miles, and racing distances no longer than 13.1 miles. His effort is a testament to hard work and commitment—an effort well-earned.

Congratulations John B., Jeff B. and Alissa G., for completing Sunday’s Army 10-Miler!

Congratulations Christy P., for winning The Beast of the East!

thruster
3-3-3

then, as many repetitions as possible in 10 minutes:
handstand pushup

1. Ryan D. | October 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

OTB:

3 rounds 10x alt sls + max double unders: 19, 37, 29
    10 min AMREP push-up with feet elevated, elbows at sides: 84

Nice work in Chicago Jon!

2. johndouglasbates | October 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

Way to go, Jon. What an achievement!

3. alissa g. | October 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

Awesome job, Jon!

Congrats, Christy!

4. Rob | October 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

There is a new post by the “Beastmodal” guy who likes to poke fun at Crossfit culture. This concerns what not to do at the box. This one is, shall we say, offensive in some parts (especially the links). So not safe for work, or for those who are easily offended, somewhat hard to offend, and even pretty hard to offend. All opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the poster!

• T | October 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

He’s definitely crude, but I think it’s hilarious.
      “he’s too busy sliming his chalky-sweat icing all over the GHD making it look like a f***ing glazed donut” nearly killed me.

Also, John needs some of those sweet polyester short-shorts. We should start a collection.

5. butleraaron | October 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Finished my first week at World Camp CrossFit in Albany, GA. Pleasantly surprised to find a CrossFit box in a very small town in a very rural place.

Most folks are very nice. Took a few consistent visits before anyone other than the coaches said hello, or introduced themselves, but everyone seems nice.

One of the first things you notice is how big the place is, about 20K SF. I don’t know the size of MPH, but for comparison, Whole Foods is about 33K SF. I point this out because after a week of WODing there, I think the space definitely impacts the culture and philosophy of the box. There doesn’t seem to be much of a team culture. No one shares anything because everyone can spread out to wherever they like and use equipment individually. It’s so big you could hide in a corner if you wanted and complete the WOD unnoticed.

The coaches are nice guys, but you need to request coaching and the WODs although prescribed, are very self directed. I set my own loads and I’ve been keeping it to the same at MPH, or where I cannot remember my loading, keeping it slightly light and focusing on technique. I focus on my own performance, but I think I am the only one who no reps himself. Today’s WOD was a decreasing ladder of hang power cleans and burpees; 15-12-9-6-3. The burpees I observed in class were sad. Horribly sad. For my fellow six AMers, think about who is saying this… Lots and lots and lots of variations of dead fish. Few if any planks to be found. I don’t want to be too critical, which is sometimes my default position. Folks are very nice, but there’s a small percentage who are very serious and everyone else. Who. Just. Isn’t. Serious.

Another major difference between MPH and here. The warm up is extremely brief, < 5 minutes and there is no mobility time at all. I brought my lacrosse balls and a foam roller with me, so I've got no excuses. Instead of mobility, the thing here seems to be strength work prior to the WOD. Today was deadlifts. 5-5-3-3-1 and then the WOD I mentioned earlier. One day, last week, there was fifteen minutes given to just work on whatever you liked before the WOD, the Lumberjack 20. I mainly used the time to open up the hips and shoulders. I was the only one who did any mobility.

Again, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. The folks are nice and the coaches will step up their coaching upon request, but I am very mindful that something is not always better than nothing.

A friend who has subsequently began CrossFit himself warned me of the cult-ish aspects of the CF community. Well… There is some truth to that and I am looking forward to returning to my cult once my trip down here has concluded.

• butleraaron | October 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

One other observation: Chalk. CHALK. Chalk everywhere. All the time. Chalk before every set. Chalk for no discernible reason. Chalk on every bar. Chalk on every kettlebell. Chalk.

6. Mrs. F | October 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Way to Go Jon H. and all of our incredible competitors. As for Aaron’s post, I like to think we are envoys of our fitness community whenever we step outside our box (aka comfort zone) to compete, visit other gyms, or fight prevailing fitness industry standards by doing OTB wods, or even just being mindful of fitness and our own bodies in daily life, really.

7. coach | October 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Joe P.: 180-180-180-lbs., 7 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Jeremy N.: 190-190-190-lbs., 31
    Robbie S.: 155x-140-140-lbs., 28 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Rob K.: 155-155-155-lbs., 10 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Mark Co.: 115-115-115-lbs., 105 (sub: pushup)
    John B.: 150-150-150-lbs., 14
    David O.: 140-140-140-lbs., 30 (sub: atomic pushup)
    Ted K.: 105-95-95-lbs., 105 (sub: pushup)
    Cristian D.: 145-145-145-lbs. (sub: front squat)
    Caitlin S.: 95-95-95-lbs., 27 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Leota B.: 105-105-95-lbs., 28 (sub: front squat, prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Katherine S.: 55-55-60 (sub: front squat, incline pushup)
    Rocio Q.: 55-55-55-lbs., 39 (sub: front squat, knee pushup)
    Jessy C.: 87-90x-85-lbs., 47 (sub: pushup)
    Robert W.: bw-bw-bw, 64 (sub: squat, pushup)
    Joseph P.: 135-135-135-lbs., 71 (sub: front squat, pushup)
    Benjamin T.: 105-110-110-lbs., 27 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 25-lb. plate)
    Jason C.: 115-125-135-lbs., 24 (sub: front squat, prom hspu, 1 x 25-lb. plate)
    Chris T.: 105-105-105-lbs., 90 (sub: pushup)
    Tracey R.: 105-110-100-lbs., 10 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 15-lb. plate)
    Diana D.: 70-72-72-lbs., 58 (sub: pushup)
    Michael H.: 75-75-75-lbs., 57 (sub: pushup)
    Alissa G.: 75-75-75-lbs., 15 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Sidra C.: 135-138-140x-lbs., 14 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 25-lb. plate)
    Scott F.: 90-90-90-lbs., 65 (sub: pushup)
    Randy F.: 80-80-80-lbs., 50 (sub: front squat, pushup)
    Kris C.: 82-85-88-lbs., 27 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 45-lb. plate)
    Alexis P.: 60-65-65-lbs., 30 (sub: pushup)
    Candida M.: 55-55-60x-lbs., 50 (sub: pushup)
    Charlotte A.: 60-60-60-lbs., 40 (sub: pushup)
    Brian T.: 140-150-155-lbs., 25
    Drew P.: 105-105-105-lbs., 30 (sub: shoulder press)
    Johnny A.: 130-135-140-lbs., 71 (sub: push press, pushup)
    Keith H.: 65-65-65-lbs. (sub: front squat)
    Josh M.: 140-145-145-lbs, 26
    Scott Ti.: 105-105-105-lbs., 82 (sub: front squat, pushup)
    Daniel H.: 115-115-115-lbs., 80 (sub: front squat, pushup)
    Neil A.: 150-150-150-lbs., 17 (sub: prom hspu, 1 x 25-lb. plate)
    Ty C.: 105-105-105-lbs., 99 (sub: pushup)
    Andrew L.: 100-100-100-lbs., 110 (sub: pushup)
    Jim D.: 110-110-110-lbs., 81 (sub: pushup)
    Tyson S.: 75-75-75-lbs., 60 (sub: pushup)
    Rob M.: 100-115-100-lbs., 105 (sub: pushup)
    James H.: 115-115-115-lbs., 105 (sub: pushup)
    Pete S.: 115-115-115-lbs., 82 (sub: pushup)

8. No Doubt | October 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

30 HSPUs for time: 4:47

9. jdchristopher | October 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Slight correction on my numbers: my last set was at 135lbs. Which brings me to a bit of a rant:

Coaches–

Thanks. Seriously. It’s been six months since my back injury and today’s squats felt… dare I say it… good. I know there’s a long way still to go, but I wanted to thank you all for your patience and guidance during this lengthy recovery process. I’ve had sports injuries in the past, but I’ve never had this much fun recovering from one before.

My improved fitness level and attitude are a direct result of MPH– both the coaching and the community. And I’m grateful.

–jdc

10. Mrs. F | October 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm

125, 130x, 120,120, 50 pushup (5 on the minute for 10 min)

11. jadh429 | October 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm

A tremendous thanks to John, Melody and Rebekka for their exceptional coaching over the past year and their constant focus on pushing us all forward, and to the amazingly supportive MPH community! And congrats to all the MPHers who competed over the weekend!

Jon H.

12. mike | October 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm

OTB

hip mobility (esp. external rotation)
    SLS (romanian?, bulgarian?)

HSPU score – 41

13. mike | October 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm

And BIG congrats to Jon, John, Jeff, Alissa, and Christy!