Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday, September 28, 2012

Unfortunately (for MPH), Sidra C. heads West tomorrow to Portland, OR. Sid is a “Globo Gym” original, one of the thirty-or-so rescued from our old spot. Always reserved, she stealthily began getting stronger and started improving in all the lifts—squats, deadlifts, and of course, the Olympic lifts. Her only tic: an immovable, staggering objection to dropping under the bar in the clean and snatch. Only after, oh, three years did we finally coax her to begin thinking about that pesky final pull, and suddenly, well, her numbers say it all! Sid is a completely different athlete than when we met her—better, stronger, faster, and a million times more confident. Sid, we will miss you so much.

Safe travels, and good luck in Portland!

–Rebekka and Melody

Down
15 repetitions for time:
2x squat clean + jerk @ 205/135-lbs.

1. Special K | September 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Sid,

Your quiet humility, grace under pressure and inspiring attitude are a daily reminder of how good we can all be if we just relax and enjoy what we’re doing. We’ll miss you. Congratulations and be prepared for some rowdy visitors!

K

2. Stuart Holbrook | September 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Sid, You are aware that there is no NHL in PDX, right? Wait, never mind, there is no NHL at all. Let’s all move to Belarus!

Sorry we never got to another game together – best of luck out there in Portlandia. Don’t forget to ask which farm your Local Organic Chicken is from and to give shell art and hemp hats a try.

Stulu

3. Mrs. F | September 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

What, no box jumps? just kidding, I don’t want to give Mel any ideas. This is going to be intense, and perfectly represents Sidra. We will miss you sooooooo much!

Ivy

4. cjsiegel | September 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Sid–we will miss you greatly. You’re constant smile is always so comforting, even when you’re ripping up huge weights! You’re awesome–have a great time out west!
    Christine & Dave

5. hhummel | September 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

Sid, you are a star – a constant source of inspiration and encouragement. I always look forward to your company, so I will really miss your arrival each morning. Have a terrific time in Portland, where you are sure to keep thriving!

6. Ted | September 28, 2012 at 8:10 am

Sid, you inspire me! Best of luck in this new phase of your life! Ted

7. thmjr19 | September 28, 2012 at 9:12 am

Sid, you are one of the people that make MPH not just a facility but a family. I will miss you and the strength of character (and body) you brought to MPH.

Terry

8. Tink | September 28, 2012 at 10:00 am

Congrats Sid, starting a new and exciting chapter!!! You will always have a place to come visit!!! We will so miss you!! hugs!!! xoxo

9. train2live | September 28, 2012 at 10:52 am

SId,

It has been such an amazing journey from the Globo days to our little box on Church street. Watching you and toiling away with you 5 days a week for the past 4 years has been a distinct honor and privilege. You are such an amazing athlete!! I think tuba Steve labeled you the quiet storm. I think it suits you well.

I will truly miss your presence in the gym and our chats as we walked back to our respective offices. I wish you all the best and look forward to your periodic visits.

Take care.
    Dave O

10. alissa g. | September 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Sid!

Who am I going to have to complain (ahem, get excited) about rowing with now!? But seriously, I am so happy to have gotten to know you over the last couple of years–you are such an amazing presence in the gym–strong and confident. I always know who to look towards when I need a little inspiration to push myself harder in a workout, particularly if it involves lifting anything heavy.

I am so excited for you an Rudy on starting this new phase in your lives–congrats on your wedding and have a blast in Portland! And come back and visit us every once in a while! 🙂

Alissa (Lefty)

11. kai5a | September 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Hi Sid,
    I’m sorry I missed your last days at the gym – wanted to wish you good luck in Portland!
    Kaisa

12. b-kay | September 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Matthew W.: 22:13 (sub: 2x power clean + jerk)
    Alex M.: 8:45 (135-lbs.)
    Ralph A.: 15:10 (115-lbs.)
    Larry B.: 15:48 (125-lbs.)
    Matt H.: 14:33 (125-lbs.)
    John G.: 9:27 (115-lbs.)
    Ted K.: 12:48 (105-lbs.)
    Gideon B.: 10:18 (85-lbs.; sub: 30x 1x power clean + push press)
    Robert W.: 5:24 (75-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + push press)
    Keena S.: 7:04 (75-lbs.)
    David O.: 11:20 (145-lbs.)
    Neil A.: 8:12 (155-lbs.)
    Josh M.: 9:45 (135-lbs.)
    John P.: 10:06 (115-lbs.)
    Sidra C.: 10:59 (125-lbs.)
    Kirsten P.: 8:28 (65-lbs.)
    Shawn C.: 13:22 (115-lbs.)
    Terry M.: 13:10 (115-lbs.; sub: 2x clean + push press)
    Glenn C.: 4:04 (95-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + push press)
    Set S.: 10:13 (65-lbs.)
    Julie G.: 9:57 (65-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + jerk)
    Molly B.: 4:55 (45-lbs; sub: 2x clean + push press)
    Cristian D.: 11:16 (105-lbs.)
    Matthew C.: 15:55 (175-lbs.)
    Bill G.: 5:13 (115-lbs.)
    Ivy F.: 9:56 (115-lbs.)
    Alissa G.: 8:15 (75-lbs.)
    James H.: 12:43 (115-lbs.)
    Joe K.: 13:05 (115-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + jerk)
    Jen M.: 11:23 (65-lbs.)
    Graham G.: 11:52 (65-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + push press)
    Johnny A.: 9:30 (105-lbs.)
    Steve M.: 8:15 (125-lbs.)
    Yoshi S.: 8:49 (115-lbs.; sub: 2x power clean + jerk)
    Chris C.: 6:54 (135-lbs.)
    Christine S.: 6:49 (75-lbs.)
    Dave R.: 6:14 (135-lbs.)
    Shawn J.: 8:46 (75-lbs.)
    Michael F.: 8:36 (135-lbs.)

13. C.Clever | September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Sid, your ready smile and penchant for hard work will be missed. Whoever gets you in Portland is really lucky!

14. borjagracia | September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Sid, we will really miss you. I am so sorry not to be in DC on your last week at MPH (for the time being at least). Before you go, can you teach Alex and Mike how to drop under the bar on the snatches? They have a problem with that!

OTB wod 15 rounds of 8 burpees (MPH standard) and 4 pushups in 20:37

• sidc | September 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thank you so much everyone for all of your kinds words. As Terry said, MPH has become more than a box to me over the last few years, it has become much more like a family. To all of my fellow Mph athletes- thank you so much for all of the encouragement I recieved every single day at the gym. I will miss woding with all of the wonderful mphers.

Coaches- words really cannot describe how grateful I am to you for all that you have done for me. You have helped me go from someone who wasnt really sure about the whole crossfit idea to someone who cant picture life without it. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I know I will miss your great coaching every single day, no matter what box I end up at. You two are not only great coaches but wonderful people and it has been an honor to grow with you and MPH over the last few years.