Friday, October 19, 2012

Matthew W.: 151
    Borja G.: 143
    Michael F.: 145
    Derek B.: 101
    Alex M.: 147
    Brian T.: 140
    John G.: 136 (sub: jumping pull-up)
    Jon H.: 131 (95-lbs.)
    Ted K.: 111 (95-lbs.)
    Joe T.: 180 (30-lb. dbs; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Keena S.: 217 (65-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Sofia J.: 140 (55-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Emily N.: 127 (20-lb. dbs; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Dave K.: 179
    Neil A.: 122
    Josh M.: 155
    John P.: 131 (115-lbs.)
    Shawn C.: 102 (115-lbs.)
    Greg F.: 284 (sub: squat, jumping pull-up)
    Terry M.: 115 (95-lbs.)
    Peter H.: 119 (95-lbs.)
    Kaisa A.: 104 (20-lb. dbs; sub: strict pull-up)
    Mayra C.: 160 (65-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Julie G.: 210 (55-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Set S.: 202 (45-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    James H.: 111
    Adrian P.: 123 (45-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Katie M.: 167 (55-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Gideon B.: 139 (65-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Matthew C.: (mobility)
    Bill G.: 139
    Steve M.: 114 (115-lbs.)
    Johnny A.: 152 (95-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Ty C.: 109 (95-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Cristian D.: 107 (95-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Ivy F.: 123 (sub: jumping pull-up)
    Jared S.: 98 (sub: pushup, strict pull-up, hollow rock)
    Roselena R.: 171 (80-lbs.; sub: jumping pull-up)
    Katherine S.: 163 (sub: standing long jump, corners)
    David O.: 120
    Dave R.: 158
    Andrew R.: 147
    Yoshi S.: 100 (95-lbs.)
    David S.: 140
    Ralph B.: 101 (105-lbs.)
    Keith W.: 215 (sub: pushup, strict pull-up, hollow rock)
    Lisa C.: 246 (sub: squat, lunge, v-hold)

2. Mrs. F | October 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

In case he reads this:

John,
    We were lucky to have you for as long as we did, and we know you’ll go on to do great things. You pushed me to be so much better than I ever thought I could be. Keep in touch with the MPH crew and come back for the riot!

Ivy F.

3. jamesy401 | October 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My two favorite John moments:

#1: I had just started killing pull ups. Every time I would do them – I’d keep an eye on John to make sure I was pulling high enough – our interaction came to a head one day – here was our interaction:

John: James, why do you keep looking at me while you’re doing pull-ups?
    James: I am afraid of being no rep’d.
    John: just do them right and you won’t be. Stop staring at me. It’s creepy.

Or something along those lines. It was actually pretty funny to me.

#2: we were doing 3 x Rounds: 400m Run – 15 x Burpees for time. I was getting crushed on the run (go figure) but was pulling back into the game each round on my Burpees. I remember hitting the concrete on round three with Tom M well into his final set of Burpees. From somewhere to my right – was John – pleading with me to go faster. He may have even been slamming a fist with each rep on the concrete. I don’t think I’ve ever done Burpees that fast since. Unfortunately I came in second, by one burpee. I feel John was often very proud of us – but the tough exterior hid most of that – not this day. I knew he was proud of the effort. I knew he was proud of me that day.

Best of luck John – I didn’t get to work with you as often as most – but was glad to have been introduced to CrossFit with the structure and stern hand so many boxes are lacking these days.

All my best,
    James H.

4. Steve M. | October 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Among other things, I’d like to thank John for (obsessively) helping to enforce (and infuse into MPH culture) strict standards of movement. Standards are important for two reasons. First, and most important, strict standards keep athletes safe. Second, standards are an integral part of allowing the athletes to be competitive with one another. I’ve worked out at other boxes where there’s such a wide range of movement standards that it’s impossible to effectively compare yourself to other athletes. At MPH, when I check the website at 9:01pm, I know that the scores are legit. I can be proud of friends when they do well and I can get pissed when someone beats me. This element of competition helps motivate me and keep things exciting after two years at MPH.

Best of luck, John. I hope to see you again.

Steve

• thmjr19 | October 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Steve, tied to the idea of MPH’s culture and community…

I was one of the large influx of newbies that joined last year. But besides James H. and a few others (Neil had yet to hit on me at this earlier, more portly stage), I didn’t know anyone. And at that time, there were established cliques. The waiting between arrival at MPH and when class began was not pleasant as everyone else seemed to know and talk to each other. I’ve told Neil this but back then I would time my arrival to class to have the minimum amount of time in between arrival and the beginning of warming up (without too much time to bring on late burpees). I didn’t like the feeling of exclusion.

John picked up on the cliques and (I presume) saw people like myself standing awkwardly and silently while some of the old guard chatted it up. And, in his own way (“Who can tell me this guy’s name?”) using his own methods (“You don’t know? 20 burpees. Go.”), he forced us to break those habits and those cliques thereby forming new friendships.

I am very appreciative of his efforts to build a community and a culture that make MPH not a place I feel I have to go to but rather one I want to go to. (Well…except for rowing days…and days with HSPUs because I can’t do them…also, the 7 minutes of burpees workout because that’s just dumb.)

All the best, John. And thank you.
      Terry M.

5. internationalsmurf | October 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

John, thank you for introducing me to the MPH “military regime”. It took me sometime to get used to it. It was kind of scary! but I ended up really appreciating it.
    I´ve learnt a lot from you. You would be surprised how often you come to my mind, in basic situations like just standing up. I always think about my posture and image you telling us to squeeze the whole body. Not to mention when I run…I promise that I try to remember all the technique that you taught to us!, but I still feel like a duck!
    MPH is one of the best things that has happened to me since I moved to the US. It has changed my life so much and for the better! Thank you.
    I wish you the best and hope to see you again sometime. I´m very happy that we will continue having Mel and BK making my life sooo happy. I can´t imagine my life without you guys. Sounds weird?!, but it is very true.
    Good luck John! and un beso,
    Rocío